The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Miguel Dirty Sanchez;261611 said:
Are you running all 3 types of lighting?
Yup, planning on using the two halides, three Chinese led( mostly for the blue) and two 54 watt t5. I know this is total overkill! I think I'll be running the halides for like 4 hours a day.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would still do 20K Radiums with those ballasts. It won't overdrive them, but they still are awesome on magnetic ballasts. The bulbs will last 18-24 months on those ballasts.

If you are going to run that much blue, then have you considered 10K bulbs? I would still recommend that you get the 20K radiums because I think that once you get them going you won't want to run the other lights anymore and I honestly think that the Radiums will flouresce the corals better than the LED or T5 will.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Doug, I agree with both statements. The sand is only 6 weeks old! The great thing about having all the lighting is that I can just change the timers I'd I feel like it. I'll be counting on the halides to do the lions share if the real work. The rest if for shadowing and fun. Thanks for all the help.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
On another note, Eddie just messages me on Facebook that the tank is assembled! He'll get me pics when they move the tank to the "curing table" still waiting on the furniture finisher to do finish the stand. Tank needs to cure 5 to 7 days before it gets shipped. The stand is out of cad's hands for the time being. It awaits dark stain and 6 coats or Polly urethane. It's been 8 days since I ordered, 6 business days. On time so far.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
As I await the delivery of the tank, hopefully by the end of the month, I am trying to figure out how to move the fish, clams and few corals (all on rock) into the aquarium. I am using the sand from the 215 in the new tank as it was expensive and only 1 month old.

Here's a few things I need to consider... and would love peoples opinions on, really, how do i get the stuff into the new tank, without killing the fish etc. I really don't have anywhere here to hold the fish...

I am thinking of getting a stock tank for some rock, fish and clams while the new tank is getting ready? this seems like the best solution without buying new sand. If anyone has one I can borrow or rent i'd love to hear from you.

Anyone ever use Dr. Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria? I may be able to cycle the new tank in a few days ( with the sand nd much of the rock i have) with it and then move the rest of the rock and fish in.

Also, rinse the sand? or not... THANK YOU for the suggestions and comments!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
You saw the pics I posted. What I did was used those plastic tubs to hold any LR and corals. You can borrow them if you need to. I also have numerous power heads and heaters you could borrow. I reused all of my water and mixed up about 180 gallons of new salt water so I cold pitch any of the water in the tubs that was dirty. I drained the old tank and moved the sand. Once the sand was in I put down a plate to avoid stirring up the sand and poured the water on that. As the tank filled I added some LR. I added a heater, power heads, and let it sit over night. It was mostly clear the next day and I added the rest of the LR, corals, and waited another hour or so and added the fish. It was almost as clear as the day I drained it on Monday and I started the process on Saturday.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;262961 said:
You saw the pics I posted. What I did was used those plastic tubs to hold any LR and corals. You can borrow them if you need to. I also have numerous power heads and heaters you could borrow. I reused all of my water and mixed up about 180 gallons of new salt water so I cold pitch any of the water in the tubs that was dirty. I drained the old tank and moved the sand. Once the sand was in I put down a plate to avoid stirring up the sand and poured the water on that. As the tank filled I added some LR. I added a heater, power heads, and let it sit over night. It was mostly clear the next day and I added the rest of the LR, corals, and waited another hour or so and added the fish. It was almost as clear as the day I drained it on Monday and I started the process on Saturday.
+1
Just make sure that the heaters aren't touching the plastic in such a way that they could melt a hole in it over time. I know, I know, call me Mistress Obvious, but I almost made this mistake on my first tank move.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Dr.HarlemTutu;262968 said:
mike, did you experience any kind of cycle? did you use any bacteria products? just a bit gun shy lately!
I've had some algae growth, but nothing significant. I have gone through almost 2 bottle of seachem stability. The majority of the algae is in the overflows though and a little in the sump. The only thing that was new was the sand though. All of the LR was in the original DT.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 100 gallon stock tank you could use it needs to be cleaned out as there's a ton of calcium build up and coralline on it pm me if you need it. You should be able to move it all in a day. I moved my whole system in 16 hours. From one house to another. Just save all the water. I only lost one fish and one coral out of the deal.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Craigar;262984 said:
I have a 100 gallon stock tank you could use it needs to be cleaned out as there's a ton of calcium build up and coralline on it pm me if you need it. You should be able to move it all in a day. I moved my whole system in 16 hours. From one house to another. Just save all the water. I only lost one fish and one coral out of the deal.
Thanks Craig, what are the dimensions on the stock tank. Trying to figure out if I can get it in the grocery getter.lol

And yea, I have moved tanks from apartment to apartment and from colorado to Kansas without incident. I think my mistake this time was adding all new sand and then a bunch of dry rock from brs and other sources without curing it first.

Mural, Just too much at once for my bacteria to keep up with I think.

Still thinking of adding the bacteria in a bottle as well. Maybe give the sand a couple of days to settle while things are in the stock tank. Also time to set up lights and controller... Then move the livestock in.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had great luck with bacter7 in the past as well as bactiv8 this last build. I do not like the birospira stuff. My system now I used the bactiv8 and let it cycle 2 months. No issues to this day....I still dose it weekly as well.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Product Description
Stock Tank, Length 52 In, Width 31 In, Height 25 In, Capacity 100 Gal, Material Structural Resin, Black, Includes Drain Plug

Mine has a few bulkheads in it I may have enough valves to be able to shut them all ill have to see

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you know anybody why could babysit your stuff for a few weeks?

If you are going to set up a tank, then get it set up now. I have a 45-50G oceanic tank that you can borrow with a skimmer and stuff. I have some 40 breeders too.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey, Like I said no rush, so feel free after the new tank arrives to keep the 215 for a another few weeks and just hold them in there? If the sand is in it and you've keep it running, should be able to add directly to new tank. (Otherwise I'd rinse.)

Actually. Im curious why a straight transfer wouldnt work since it's bigger to smaller? Take all the sand, siphon out then let sit in new tank for a few hours. (Dinner plate for adding more water, or if adding to water pvc tube to let sand hit bottom and not fly everywhere.) Transfer all the rock and all the water. Should mean you take all the bacteria you had.

When I moved my 55 that's essentially what I did was a straight transfer. As you said, the disaster really came from equipment failure/not completely cycled rock.

(But again to be safe, I don't mind you holding the 215 for a while longer, I've got everything in drums w/ heater/powerheads simmering away.)

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Fitz, thanks for being super accommodating! The tank is still running. I am just trying to do this in a measured way. I think your plan is solid. Just like mural did his and I have done successfully many times. Recent events excluded. I think I'll move rock and fish into a holding container of some sort, move the sand, add water and run for a day or two and then add the fish. I should have the bacteria I need in the sand and rock. My only concern is anything nasty inside the sand bed getting released during the move.