The Dr. Has gone insane Re-build

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Didn't think it was that deep and new. Should be fine if allowed to settle I'd think. If going to a small tank and have *that* much leftover where you have worries of ie becoming a crappy DSB (deep enough for problems, too shallow to work well) I could buy/take some off ya when the 215 is ready for me.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
if I decide to go thinner i'll hook ya up. By the way, I have a 300 watt heater i'd sell ya cheep if you decide you want it. The new tank actually has a larger footprint. 1800 sq inches and the 215 is 1700 so smaller tank but larger footprint.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nm then, that sounds perfect. I think that was the main thing I'd love to change about the 215 if it was only 24 inches deep. (Rest split on width/length).

I've got 2x 250watt, I'll have to see how those do.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Talked to them last Friday. They said. 10 to 14 days till shipping. It was mostly assembled and the cabinet at the paint shop for stain and urethane. The tank needs to sit for 10 or so days before shipping. Hopefully it'll be shipped by next Friday. They aren't the best communication people. Hopefully things go smoothly. According to original time frame it should have been shipped yesterday. I'll wait rather than rush them though.

Just got the bulkheads and some brs tonga branch. The tonga is heavy ! 15 lbs didn't go far. Goona start cooking it this weekend.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Anyone ever do a fish room in their garage? Is colorado too cold? just thinking about doing a big sump with some of the equipment out there. I could expand to frag tank and so on in the future as well. It would give me more volume and quiet the family room a bit... no skimmer or return pump inside.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is your garage climate controlled at all? Are you willing to build in a "closet" for the fish room? With proper insulation I would go for it...build a wall and ventilate it for humidity; the equipment and tank temp should keep a small room warm enough where you wouldn't have any issues. I'd be afraid of just using a big open garage with a sump in there though.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The garage is insulated but NOT climate controlled. May be hair brained idea. It gets pretty hot as well. Building a closet may work for the winter but now that I am thinking I am worried about the summer. Really thinking out loud at this point.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I think it's a great idea. I would be worried about the temp and debris falling into an open sump in the garage. If you have good heaters for the winter and a chiller for the summer it could work out fine. Plus you could have space to work, do water changes (and not destroy bamboo floors), and add on later.

jgonzz

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Dr.HarlemTutu;263453 said:
Anyone ever do a fish room in their garage? Is colorado too cold? just thinking about doing a big sump with some of the equipment out there. I could expand to frag tank and so on in the future as well. It would give me more volume and quiet the family room a bit... no skimmer or return pump inside.
reefkoi's set up is a garage setup

and so will my new place

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Heat is the problem with big sumps imo we lost our heaters the other day 600+ gallons dropped 8 deg in less than 12 hrs

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I didn't like the idea either but my temp is really stable now even with no AC over the summer.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
In an "old" garage is different than in a garage that is being used as a garage. You all might want to clarify if you are using a garage that won't ever have cars again (effectively, a room with less insulation and a concrete floor), or an actual garage with hot cars in the summer and cold blasts when you open the door in the winter.

Why not the basement?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The basement isn't an option with the tank where we would like it. I really don't think the garage is an option either, at least without quite a bit of work. We are evaluating the pros and cons of putting it where we can do a basement sump. I love the idea of the huge extra volume and quiet display. Also. Water changes would be much more convenient. Going to look at the house and basement as well as the reefkeeper to see how difficult this will be. Work vs reward.