The future of our hobby

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That is heart breaking to hear, and certainly will have more impact then the Hawaiian ban on fish. :(

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
You would think this would open up more of the inland coral trade. My tank to yours type of stuff
Possibly, the biggest threat might be if the corals are given an endangered species listing with restrictive clauses in it that would make them illegal to own. These types of restrictions have already ripped apart the herpetology hobby with people having officials show up in the middle of the night to confiscate pets they have had for years.

In other news Hawaii has doubled down and closed the loophole on net sizes

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2018/01/05/hawaiis-dlnr-tightens-loopholes-in-aquarium-fishing-ban/

and finally most Tridacna clams are being considered for the endangered species list

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/01/04/giant-clams-proposed-to-be-listed-under-endangered-species-act/

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anybody here see this hobby going away or becoming illegal anytime soon? I know the discussion of this question will be largely speculative. I'm curious to hear what folks that have been in the hobby or industry long term think about where this is heading.

I’ve been in since 2000, my uncle has from the 80’s. Lots has changed over time, but not a lot at once. That said the hammer could fall at anytime like it did with frogs. Even if that happens I’m sure some species will be okay, like zoas. Sps might be banned first based on EIS(s) the fed gov has come out with. You (we) could always get into higher ed programs and still grow coral. I noticed that getting my degree, that the ultra hobbiest are usually professors doing studies on animals that they couldn’t do without loads of funds and special permission. What really sucks is there are people that have a high rate of success, and/or can get help from others like here. I think those would qualify for a permit if banned, if they do it here. That might be the logical next step (permits) if we keep in mind how much livestock dies in the hands of untrained people everyday. It’s disgusting.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am ordering and building a 960G reef over the next few years. I just bought 500 lbs of boat rock just in case this does not get reversed. I cannot risk having pay $8-10 a pound for Mondano or rock from a different region when this is about $3 a pound and I really like the shapes.

BTW - if large clams are truly endangered, then we should not collect them for our tanks. I know that this pales in comparison to people who eat them, but it is still the right thing to do.

With the advances in technology and understanding, there should be a category for some animals that allows for people spawning and growing in their natural environment and then collection, like all of the AQ for clams and corals. This does not impact the natural populations that I know of and is a win for everybody, I would think... but perhaps I am missing the boat here.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is good news.

I hope that they set some sustainable limits so that collection can happen for years to come. Working together to find something in the middle is always better than just running a train for years and years for the benefit of the abusers... and when the other side gets enough momentum and shuts you down, it then goes too far and harms the honest and responsible people (pay attention NRA).