The Moorish Idol Journey

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well my Moorish Idol has been with me for a year now. Still eats like a champ and is the boss of the tank. The Idol has not picked or eaten any coral. It sure does love macro algae though. Here is a video of him I put together this weekend. Hope you like it!

[video=youtube;f5AU7mFYMgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5AU7mFYMgg[/video]

Video is available in 720 and 1080 :)

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
great video that thing is sexy. Your cardinal is as aggressive as mine during feeding lol. Great song too... young frankenstein came to mind

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang you and your catchy songs...

he looks great! Still shy when guest come over?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So last night I noticed 3/4 of my dragon eye zoa colony was missing. The rock where they were was completely clean. My wife calls me today and says that Maury is the one who was eating them. Well at least he likes the cheap ones!! I told her to keep a eye on my money rock (alpha omega, space monsters , HPE on acid and pink zipper colonies on one rock). I really like zoas so I hope this is just isolated, he hasn't touched anything else besides candy canes in the last year I had him. O well though, would rather have the Idol then zoas so if he continues I might be selling off some frags and colonies!!!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MartinsReef;153461 said:
One of the hardest fish to keep alive for more than a week let alone a year! Great Job!
Totally jinxed me Martin...mine died today! :( I didn't make it more than a week...even though he was eating pretty much like a pig too.

rockys_pride;153537 said:
I claim dibs on the "money rock." BTW, did you see the captive accustomed (or something like that) MI that are being sold? Think I saw it on marine engineers or reef builders.
Was that where they are catching/harvesting somewhere in Hawaii where people/tourists are feeding them and they are used to the prepared foods? I saw that just the other day, I think it might have been off Youtube though??

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the Moorish Idol Journey comes to a end. At least in my system. He is going onto greener pastures in one of our maintenance accounts. Maury decided to turn my reef into his own personal buffet. It started with candy canes then shorty after zoas, palys, acans, chalices, etc. If I didnt pull him out my whole reef would have been gone, lol. I would like to think that not feeding enough had squat to do with it. IMO fish eat corals out of curiosity or instinct. I dont believe I saw him nip due to hunger. I feed my system 4-5 times a day. A little heart broken to be honest, he was my prized fish. I try to look at the brighter side and say that I was able to keep a Idol alive for over a year now and will continue to do so in a system better suited than mine.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SAZAMA;154968 said:
that sucks buddy, whats next?
Not sure, any thoughts Tony?

I wouldn't mind trying another expert only or difficult fish. I really like the AchillesTang but I think my 125 will be too small. I have also been really eying a Bandit Angelfish. I do need another show fish now though!!!!