The new new guy

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey everyone, figured I'd make my first post an introduction. I recently stumbled on this forum while researching reef aquaria. I've spent many, many years keeping and breeding FW fish (probably 20 years with a 3 year lapse in there)...my dad had me selecting guppies for finnage and colors when I was like 10, haha. Hooked ever since. Most recently I got into planted tanks and have a 35 gallon "riparium" that I've been thoroughly enjoying.

Right now I'm planning out my first reef setup, and have been learning as much as I can over the past few months. I kinda jumped into the planted tank thing and learned a lot by trial and error. Although I'm sure that cycle will still apply to keeping a reef...I'm hoping to keep that to the minimum and do it right the first time (don't we all? lol). I'm leaning towards an AIO system like the 29gal biocube or jbj 28gal...hoping to find a used system locally (*wink wink nod nod*) before pulling the trigger at the lfs.

I'll probably stay away from sps for quite a while and just go with zoas and lps; I dove into the "difficult" stuff (high light, CO2 injection) with my first planted tank and learned to enjoy the simplicity of a low maintenance system soon after. I don't mind the legwork and daily routine...but I'd much rather spend my time enjoying the tank than tweaking things to find a balanced system. Hopefully I can keep things relatively simple and straightforward.

Anyway...looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you at some point. We have a pretty active group of local "planted" guys on another forum and I've enjoyed trading and checking out other builds.

Last edited by a moderator:

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Welcome. Awesome guys here, so you will be certain to get help with almost anything you need.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the madness. Elite has a biocube for sale and so does key's.

Ton a great people here and ask any question you like. Pics of your planted tank plz.

We like pics.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. As requested, here are some pics of my current setup, as well as my Fluval Edge in the prime of it's growth...I stopped the CO2 dosing in the Edge months ago, and am slowly taking that tank down. It will be redone as a FW shrimp-only tank; I've decided to go with the JBJ 28 for my first SW setup. Forgive me for the low quality on some of the pics; my computer died long ago...and I have been using my cell phone for pics in place of my dslr. Enough chit-chat...pics:

35 gallon "riparium" (~25 gallons of H20 volume)

I took both of the above pics right at "lights on". I have an ultrasonic mister set to turn on ~15 minute before the lights come on. It's helped keep the plants happy as it adds some humidity before the lights kick in. Also...as my friend put it, it's mesmerizing.

Here's a closer shot of the emersed growth without the mister on. The foreground plants were just added and are still rooting...hence the turned-down leaves.

One more pic of the riparium. This one was taken before I switched to a black background in the lower portion of the tank. It looks great in person now, but in the pics it's difficult to see the arrangement of plants and driftwood below the water...so I figured I'd include this shot. The emersed growth is sparse as I was in the process of repotting and trimming plants down on that day.

Next is the Fluval Edge. I gotta say, I miss this beautiful setup...but it was extremely frustrating trying to balance the parameters with the high amount of fert dosing, light, and CO2 injection it took to keep things looking this good. Things would go well for a couple months, then I'd spot a deficiency, try to adjust, and cause havoc in the system. Spent a lot of time backpedaling, overcorrecting, and spilling water out the top of the tank when I reached in to trim plants between weekly water changes. The good and the bad.

Lemme know what you guys think! Hopefully I can take my time getting into reefing and have some sustained success on the dark s...I mean this side ;)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;141915 said:
Glad I could help push you over the ledge...now you're doomed. ;) Welcome...OFFICIALLY...to the madness!
Yep, you're my first enabler :b

Last edited by a moderator: