The Swanson's Solana

After being out for a couple years because of selling a house, living in the in-laws basement, having a baby, and moving into our new house, it's finally time to set up another tank. Although not as large as our last set up we are excited to finally have a reef again. It's a 34 gallon standard Solana All in one system with the disco light 150 Watt metal halide. I ditched the stand that came with it and built my own and shall we say my woodworking skills are, well, let's just hope I'm a better reefer than I am a woodworker. The overflow will have a tunze 9002 skimmer that I modified and I plan on some Chaeto in the second chamber with a small led light. I'm going to try the Jaebo wave maker ( yes I've read the mixed reviews) simply because of the price. I'm setting up an ATO with double float switch and a 5 gallon bucket in the cabinet. For now, being a new system, I'm going to be dosing limewater only until the system requires more supplements. Thanks for taking a look! Pics to come.

Thanks Craig, already see my first problem from my terrible woodworking skills. Tank is level but not sitting completely flat . A couple corners are off just a bit. What is that pad or soft board people put under tanks to help even it out I'm going to need one apparently .

Anybody see a problem with doing this? I also bought a one inch thick pink styroboard if you guys think this is a bad idea. Its nice and level now and feels solid. Thanks for any help! Im never building a stand again.

Just made a homemade limewater doser. Drip rate is adjustable and can drip very slow. I can make these occasionally as supplies become available where I work, let me know if you're interested.

Have a new 165w full spectrum LED on the way as well. With the skimmer, return pump and wp10 going this is almost dead silent I love it. Inordered a 10w undereater bulb for the second chamber refugium chaeto setup. Should be able to do fish real soon! Then the fun stuff.

Bored at work pt's aren't showing up, just a little update. Got the new Chinese full spectrum on and it's been great so far. Can't beat 60 bucks shipped brand new in box with hanging kit. Added first few corals which were doing great until my first anemone suicide attempt. A water change and some carbon cleared it'll the tank up and it looks like the anemone is going to make it.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can you get a better picture from above? worried about that giant V looking gash that looks to be at the top of the power head body.

Also do you have spare carbon on hand just in case?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sorry about the nem swanny. May need the foam guards in there if you plan to keep nems.

Tank looks killer though!!!

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
That sucks, sorry to hear.

You could also move the power head closer to the front of the tank and angle it back further so it's out of reach if you put another nem in there.

CRW Reef;634920 said:
Sorry about the nem swanny. May need the foam guards in there if you plan to keep nems.

Tank looks killer though!!!
Thanks man, I need to be more careful I hate to lose any animal even ones that "can't" feel pain like a nem.