The Versatile Frag Plug Project.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Super cool. That would be awesome for glueing them up! You need to stop posting and start patents on these.

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
meh, I'll think about it, I can always file a provisional patent later. I'd rather spend my money on making more designs though.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well now you just need a tank so you can put them in to practice, and demo them :) Any plans to produce them on a larger scale?

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
SynDen;367376 said:
Well now you just need a tank so you can put them in to practice, and demo them :) Any plans to produce them on a larger scale?
In the works to produce them. I can make protoypes in limited quantities.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've been wondering about the pinwheel design on the disk, is there any significance to that?

If you are ever looking for beta testers.....lol!

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
I made a few designs to add texture (grid, maze-like, etc.) the spiral was my favorite and it also does a good job drawing glue into it so it holds nicely. I am looking for testers since I can't do it myself. PM me.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
how much does it cost to make these? I don't know that folks will be excited about $10 frag plug systems...

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
The main discs are the most expensive part due to the internal threads which require a fairly complicated mold, so depending on how large of scale they are being produced, I would have to charge around $1 per disc to cover overhead. The production mold and the initial part order are several thousand dollars. The other parts are less expensive to make. So, one can look at around $1.20-1.70 for an accessorized plug (disc+post+coral clip). The coral clip/holders are reusable however. In the future, it is my goal to get the price to around 50 cents, but I can't do that until I start ordering these by the 100s of thousands.

What would be a realistic price point here?

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
So, I've been making small runs of the discs in black polypropylene. I've been charging around $0.70 per disc. In the next couple of weeks, I should be able to add the rock anchor posts to the mix.

I'm working on some other pieces like a natural looking mount, a better rock anchor, magnetic mount (all compatible with each other) and some other concept ideas. Takes about 2-3 weeks to get new prototypes in the mail though, so the long wait continues...

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
As an inventor myself, here are some ideas I'd have for you.

Can you swirl the color of the plugs to make it look closer to live rock? Like brown and tan. Or just make a brown/tan plug color in general?

Also can you make spiked frag plugs? That way you can drill a hole in a rock, insert said spiked plug, and it won't go anywhere. Here's a quick 1 minute sketch on my phone of what I'm talking about lol.

Just some ideas haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
SkyDiv3r17;368523 said:
As an inventor myself, here are some ideas I'd have for you.

Can you swirl the color of the plugs to make it look closer to live rock? Like brown and tan. Or just make a brown/tan plug color in general?

Also can you make spiked frag plugs? That way you can drill a hole in a rock, insert said spiked plug, and it won't go anywhere. Here's a quick 1 minute sketch on my phone of what I'm talking about lol.

Just some ideas haha.
Yes-ish, I am working on some natural looking plugs that are shaped and colored like live rock. However, I am having trouble finding ways to make them compatible with the various accessories without losing the natural look. In production, I can probably have swirly colors, but for now I'm stuck with black. I tried swirling two colors on my little injection molder, but it made the process really difficult and inconsistent, partly because I don't have access the commercial variety of resins, so I was trying to use 2 plastics with slightly different melting points and viscosity.

The idea with the rock anchor post is that it fits into many of the holes naturally found in live rock without the need to drill. However, I understand that you may want more specific placement within the rock. The Rock Anchor I'm working on now is a hybrid barbed/threaded piece that should screw in pretty well and stay put, either in a natural hole or in a drilled hole. It compresses slightly, so it conforms to the rock. When running trials, I was able to lift up a 2 pound rock using just the Rock Anchor. The disc and post are separate pieces that screw together, so one can change their mind about placement really easily.

Additionally, I'm making inserts, similar to dry wall anchors, that will allow you to turn your own pieces of rubble into a compatible mount that can accept any of the post varieties.

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I have read multiple places that 3d printed plastics are toxic to fish. May want to check up on that.