1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

The Versatile Frag Plug Project.

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects' started by spinycheek, Dec 16, 2015.

1. projectx

projectx Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Those look great

2. spinycheek

spinycheek Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots

I made a video of my first test with the "Coral Clip". It's meant to be a universal, glue-less attachment for branching, plating and soft corals. Have yet to test on soft corals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWIi2IZQUSI

Tango and sethsolomon like this.
  3. spinycheek

spinycheek Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots

I finally made a DIY 3D printable disc. I had to adjust quite a few things to account for the imperfections inherent in FDM printers, but the results are pretty cool. The surface texture is actually designed as a grid pattern on the CAD file, but it's meant to use the printer's bridging artefacts to get the course, textured surface where the glue/coral attaches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. spinycheek

5. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Yet one more reason for me to invest in a printer. Very nice.

spinycheek likes this.
  6. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

That's great. Really like the textured surface.

spinycheek likes this.
  7. spinycheek

Some color experiments with ceramic plugs.

[​IMG]

The finalists...

[​IMG]

8. SynDen

Those look great, very natural looking. What's your process for these like?

9. spinycheek

Thanks!

It takes about a week from start to finish, I have to blend colors to get the clay the right color then they're shaped and textured by hand. Dry for a day, Add more coloring, dry again. Fire them which takes about a day. Once they're cool, I clean them up with water and a toothbrush.

Then I print the threads and glue them into the bottom of the ceramic mounts. Let that cure for a day. Then they're finally done.

I started off using molds, but I couldn't get the concave underside the way I wanted it, which I've found to be really nice for conforming to live rock, because they wrap around it and don't stick out so bad.

10. J.guokas

J.guokas Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Should have some pics for you soon man. These things are badass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. spinycheek

Looking forward to it!

-Ben

12. spinycheek

Ceramic mounts are now in production.

[​IMG]

13. spinycheek

14. larryl

larryl Copepod

Do you have any pictures of frags encrusted on your plugs? I'm curious about how fast they encrust compared to ceramic frag plugs, and how securely the frags stay attached once they encrust.

15. spinycheek

I don't have any encrusted pics, but I'm working on it. The plastic ones are made of the same stuff ORA plugs are made of, so growth should be similar.

16. Fitz19d

Fitz19d Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Have a booth at reef stock by chance?

Still love that 3d octo you sent with samples. Need to get it painted and mounted.

17. spinycheek

I won't have a table, but Nick with Ambrosio Aquatics will have my stuff including the ceramic ones. Hopefully I will have time to stop by, but I may not make it.

Glad you like the octo! If I can, I try to throw something fun into my orders.

18. Tango

Tango Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Man those glue less plugs look nice may have to order those when they come out

19. SynDen

You getting back in?

20. Tango

Tango Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Yeah just started a biocube want to get some coral in it probably gonna get a frag tank going and the wife wants a predator tank