TheCoralShop...what a disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So first off, I really toiled with posting this thread. Sadly, things went south rather quickly with Mike and to a point where I can’t stay quiet for the sake of the club membership, for what it’s worth to any of you all.

Summary:

1) Mike “TheCoralShop” posted a thread and had a rock with 6-7 RBTA’s and a pair of maroon clownfish for sale. I immediately agreed to his asking price and set up a time to pick up the livestock.

2) August 13[SUP]th[/SUP], I arrived at Mike’s place and he explained 3-4 RBTA’s were attached to another rock that was holding up the structure of his remaining rocks. Mike wanted more time to not only get the remaining rock out but to also catch the clowns, which were giving him problems due to all the rock.

3) Mike asked if I was okay with getting the rest of the livestock, 3-4 RBTA’s and the clowns at a later time as soon as he could break things down. (Note: Both my better half, who was with me, and I remembered Mike specifically saying there was 3, possibly 4 more RBTA’s on the rock he had to get out later, and we saw at least 2 but couldn’t see behind the rock) Mike stated he would even bring them to me, as it was an inconvenience what happened after I drove all the way down to his place. Being flexible, as anyone on here that knows me, I agreed and stated I could meet him halfway like Bass Pro or something so he wouldn’t have to drive all the way up to my place. I then paid for the livestock.

4) September 15[SUP]th[/SUP], I contacted Mike and asked if he was ready for the RBTA’s (plural) with the clowns. Mike stated he had just got back into town and would work on it.

5) September 19[SUP]th[/SUP], Mike got back with me and stated he had gotten them out. I gave him my schedule and explained that I was getting rid of my reef and only keeping my FOWLR with nems and that I was most interested in the rock with Nem’s (again, plural). I explained I would have to juggle my clownfish around since I was going to be heavy a pair with the maroons. Mike responded asking if I still wanted them [the clowns]. I replied saying I DEFINITELY needed the rock w/nems (plural) and I would just have to juggle the clowns I have or sell a pair to a good home. Mike stated a good friend of his wanted them bad [the clowns] and asked if he hooked them up with the clowns if I would be cool him hooking me up with coral. Mike responded before I was able to and said to disregard because that person couldn’t do it after all. I told Mike that was too bad and that I would’ve been cool with the coral for clowns scenario.

6) September 21-22, attempted to contact Mike. September 23[SUP]rd[/SUP], Mike responded and stated “I got ‘em a home”. Not understanding exactly what that meant I asked if he meant the clowns and he stated, “yeah.” At this point I was having a funny feeling so I replied asking when we could hook up for the Nem’s (plural). I added that I might have to come down and look at coral at a later time, in trade for the clownfish, but I was ready for the Nem’s. Mike replied saying, “There was only one left and I left it with the clowns like I told ya I was partial to them and couldn’t do that to ‘em.”

In the remaining deteriorating communication, I confirmed my position that Mike mentioned there were 3 possibly 4 RBTA’s left on the rock “owed” and he gave them away with the clownfish? I explained I knew he was partial to them but that I would still take them and if it came down to it would find them a good home, and one with an anemone to host. Sidenote; Am I not capable of finding them a good home as easily as Mike? Not to mention they were already bought and paid for!

I reiterated the point that I paid him up front for this livestock and was explicit in that I was flexible on the clownfish in the scenario he provided, but NOT flexible on the Nem’s. I also reiterated that I had already paid for this livestock up front and only agreed to the later delivery as a favor to him.

The replies immediately became defensive saying if I didn’t believe him he would have me talk to the person who bought them (who cares honestly, what would that prove??), and that there was only ONE anemone left. NOT THE CASE.

I tried extremely hard to remain friendly in reply to the defensive responses trying to get to the bottom of what happened and why. It just continually got worse. Mike stated he wasn’t going to “strip” the clowns of their nem because that would’ve been “wrong”. He explained he would get in touch with me after MACNA to figure it out.

I told Mike I was ONLY flexible leaving that day without everything in hand, as a favor to him since he was not prepared. Now he was pulling this non-sense. I told him there was no reason HE had to be the one to find them a new home (since he took it upon himself to do so) with livestock I had already purchased. I told him the best option at that point in our communication was to simply reimburse me what he was paid by whatever member and we could call it good and I would take my business elsewhere. I figured this was completely reasonable since the livestock he sold was technically owned by me and I had completed my part of the deal.

Mike simply replied, “I will get you another nem in replacement after I get back from MACNA.”

I told Mike I was no longer interested in doing “business” or anything face-to-face with him any longer and provided him my Paypal account to reimburse me whatever he was paid for the livestock I already owned. His response, “Nope you’ll get merchandise and the feeling is mutual believe me” [about doing business]

That is the long and short of the situation. I contacted Mike on October 21[SUP]st[/SUP], as this was well past MACNA, and again today October 23[SUP]rd[/SUP]. No response to anything.

My commentary is limited to this; I am a very principle and integrity based person who doesn’t have much tolerance for BS. That said, I am semi-used to this kind of nonsense from people on Craigslist and a limited couple of members I have dealt with on MASC. However, I have much higher expectations for a vendor/sponsor as a business-for-profit. These are the types of situations which make me not want to be flexible and/or “nice” to others when completing transactions. “Nice” always seems to bite you in the rear. Buyer beware is ALWAYS in effect when dealing with Craigslist stuff, but shouldn’t be with a vendor/sponsor. IMHO

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I know mike koi and gonzo just got back from reefapaloza, might be why he hasent got back to ya. There has to be more to it (I hope) I have done alot of transactions w coral shop and never got the run around! I'm sure he will make it wright!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, that's weird. I've done lots of business with Mike and always had a good deal. Not sure what's going on now though. Sorry to hear of your struggles Evan.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not taking anyones side, but if it went down like you said simply file a claim with the BBB. Business owners that care about their reputation tend to resolve things quickly.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
280g-reefman;200121 said:
Not taking anyones side, but if it went down like you said simply file a claim with the BBB. Business owners that care about their reputation tend to resolve things quickly.
True, business owners that care about their reputation do resolve disputes quickly, but the BBB is a scam operation.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Evan. Hope you get it resolved, or at least a FULL refund!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unfortunately the BBB only works for larger businesses...or smaller ones that choose to register.

Hope you get this sorted to your satisfaction, Evan.

I think posting on forums like this will get you better results then BBB. I choose stores based on peoples recommendations and i'm sure people watch how these situations are handled by the vendor and speaking for myself it will definitely effect where I choose to spend my money.

The Coral Shop.com

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is out of control.... first I'd like to say the thread is full of false comments and references to what REALLY happened and to throw it out publicly like this is not cool. Even with me your story changed twice maybe more..

THE THREE TO FOUR NEM COMMENT IS NOT TRUE.. AT ALL... I CAN'T GIVE YOU WHAT WAS NOT THERE... UNFORTUNATELY I KNEW A THREAD LIKE THIS WAS COMING.. :(

IT WAS ONE NEM ONLY ONE WE ALL LOOKED AT THE SAME ROCK AND IT HAD ONE... PERHAPS THE SIZE OF THE ONE LOOKED LIKE THREE I DON'T KNOW BUT I KNOW FOR A FACT AND OTHER PEOPLE THAT DAY AND AFTER SAW THE SAME......... ONE!!

ON A SIDE NOTE IT WASN'T A CORAL SHOP TRANSACTION IT WAS FROM MY PERSONAL TANK AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH MY COMPANY... I offered a replacement and through all the rude comments etc I decided it was time to cut communication with this person...

FIRST YOU WERE DOWN WITH CORALS IN REPLACEMENT FOR THEM AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THAT WASN'T GOING TO WORK THEN A REPLACEMENT WAS OFFERED AND WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH UNTIL I SAID I'M DONE HEARING ABOUT HOW THE "OTHER VENDORS" pull their bs AND he should have expected this from a GARAGE VENDOR.... Really?

MIND YOU THIS WAS A PERSONAL TRANSACTION....

$100 FOR 7 LARGE ROSE NEMS IS A RIP OFF??? THEN BEING TOLD THE CLOWNS WERE GOING TO BE A PROBLEM AND HE WASN'T SURE WHAT DO WITH THEM OTHER THAN TAKE THE NEM (ONE NEM MIND YOU) AND SELL THE CLOWNS... OH AND MY BAD TO LET THEM GO WITH ONE NEM THAT THEY'VE BEEN PAIRED WITH FOR 4 YEARS WAS THE WRONG THING TO DO... NOT IMO maybe I'm the only one who gets attached to their fish and well being :)

REALLY?? A FULL REFUND FOR 6-7 NEMS THAT GO FOR $40 T0 $80....

Sorry Evan but I can't even read your whole book about my company (mind you this was a personal deal) because of how you've twisted the facts and perhaps through your own misunderstanding of the transaction and what WAS REALLY said about the nem (NOT plural..) which there was one ONLY one...

I always do whatever I can to take of people, those who know me know that.

The Coral Shop.com

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jamesam;200175 said:
I think posting on forums like this will get you better results then BBB. I choose stores based on peoples recommendations and i'm sure people watch how these situations are handled by the vendor and speaking for myself it will definitely effect where I choose to spend my money.
please remember there are two sides to every story :)

The Coral Shop.com;200181 said:
please remember there are two sides to every story :)
I understand there are always two sides to a story....I was responding to the BBB complaint suggestion. I wasn't making a judgement yet....just saying that I and probably a lot of others watch the responses from the vendor when a complaint is posted to see how situations are handled. By no means have I decided who was right or wrong. Also my two cents is, it doesn't matter whether it is a personal transaction or a business transaction how either is handled is a good indication of how I may be treated doing business with that person or vendor in the future.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Coral Shop.com;200182 said:
Really...

It was joke, hence the smiley face after. I would not resort to violence over something as trivial as coral. I hope you two can work out your differences and get to a solution.

The Coral Shop.com

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jamesam;200183 said:
I understand there are always two sides to a story....I was responding to the BBB complaint suggestion. I wasn't making a judgement yet....just saying that I and probably a lot of others watch the responses from the vendor when a complaint is posted to see how situations are handled. By no means have I decided who was right or wrong. Also my two cents is, it doesn't matter whether it is a personal transaction or a business transaction how either is handled is a good indication of how I may be treated doing business with that person or vendor in the future.[/QUOTE

Agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.