They're back.....

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LOL....yeah, I almost have enough to buy a couple mandarins! :D
My next purchase will be a microscope so I can stop bugging Andy hehe.
Then I want a decent SLR camera to prove that I'm raising fish!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;48316 said:
LOL....yeah, I almost have enough to buy a couple mandarins! :D
My next purchase will be a microscope so I can stop bugging Andy hehe.
Then I want a decent SLR camera to prove that I'm raising fish!
craigslist bro! you should also get "the complete illustrated guide to marine fish breeding" so I can borrow it:D

hoodrat

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gale if you want to borrow my canon to take some pics just let me know. I had to move your coral yesterday and actually noticed it is connected to a small frag plug under all of that....lol

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They were a pair of harlequin filefish. Live Aquaria had already done most of the hard work. They said that they had them eating a good, varied diet of frozen foods. Once you get them eating they are pretty easy. Getting them eating is really, really difficult though.

They basically just need to be fed several times a day like seahorses. Otherwise, just basic tank care to keep up with all the food.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
But yours look fed, Andy LOL
Your right those on LiveAquaria looked thin. The male was pretty pinched at the belly.

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, and along their backs with all the long-term fat stores looked really pinched. That's what always gets me. A pinched belly could be just a few missed meals. The back stuff means weeks of missed meals. A lot of that can be time in transit through the wholesale chain, but it takes a _long_ time to train these guys to frozen foods.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone have these in a reef tank? Even if they are well fed,will they still choose coral over foods? Larger tank size, does it make them less likely to pick at corals?

Ummfish

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aqua Imports has one in a reef tank that looks really good. I've never actually seen one eat a coral, but I didn't have mine in a reef tank. I'd bet if you started them out and got them used to real food, you could put them in a reef and they wouldn't eat your corals. But then, you'd still have to make sure they got enough to eat and they need to eat a _lot_ (I think).