Thinking of buying a dosing pump.

I have a 150 gallon tank with a bunch of LPS corals and some SPS corals so I never had one before so what do you guys recommend? What should I dose? What dosing pump should I buy?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Soooooo, if you are happy with coral growth, and don't currently dose anything......you know what I'm about to say.....why do you want to start dosing?

Most people dose calcium and alkalinity, called 2-part dosing. Some aquariums require magnesium to be added as well. What are your Mag, Calc, and Alk levels currently at?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I too am in the process of looking for a good/safe way to dose. I have thought about the BRS 1.1 ml dosers. They get pretty good reviews. However, since I purchased the Apex, I have been really looking at the Apex Dos. It is more expensive but has a step down motor so should last longer than any other doser. Also it looks easy to control and monitor. In regards to the Aqua Medic doser, I can't find much for reviews and I am a little skeptical about the quality of their products in general so seeing a super cheap doser makes me wonder if it will be reliable. Last thing I want is to have my whole jug of 2 part empty into the tank and kill everything.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
As far as cheap programmable 3 head dosing pumps go, I have been happy with my magic marine dosing pump. In 3 years I have replaced one of the heads. The replacement heads were 3 for $30. I think magic marine is only sold through ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have the Bubble Magus and really like it. It spreads a set amount out over the day in equal and smaller amounts and calculates the whole thing for you. I'm sure some of the others will do that as well but the BM is the only one I have experience with.

Haddonisreef;355909 said:
It's pretty cheep for two part, I was going threw a gallon every five weeks or so. Also didn't see the angel in your video what happen?
He's still there he usually hangs out in his cave and comes out only to eat and swim a portion of the day haha

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
mbaeza64;355910 said:
He's still there he usually hangs out in his cave and comes out only to eat and swim a portion of the day haha
Oh good, keeping parameters stable is key in our reefs. So doseing is a easy way to do so, I recently went from doseing to a ca reactor. Brs has a good info on how to start w two part doseing I'd check out there web site.

Haddonisreef;355912 said:
Oh good, keeping parameters stable is key in our reefs. So doseing is a easy way to do so, I recently went from doseing to a ca reactor. Brs has a good info on how to start w two part doseing I'd check out there web site.
I heard about the calcium reactors never looked into them what do they do? Would you recommend me getting one?

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
mbaeza64;355914 said:
I heard about the calcium reactors never looked into them what do they do? Would you recommend me getting one?
Ca reactor will dose all trace element to the tank. They take a bit to dial in but I wish I would have gone this route long ago. If u do I'd get a controller either a reef keeper or apex to help control the reactor. You need to keep a low ph in reactor 6.5 +/- .20 to melt media. There's also a good video on brs about ca reactors. If u want to stop by I could show ya how it works.