Thinking of buying a dosing pump.

Haddonisreef;355916 said:
Ca reactor will dose all trace element to the tank. They take a bit to dial in but I wish I would have gone this route long ago. If u do I'd get a controller either a reef keeper or apex to help control the reactor. You need to keep a low ph in reactor 6.5 +/- .20 to melt media. There's also a good video on brs about ca reactors. If u want to stop by I could show ya how it works.
So if I buy a calcium reactor it would dose for me?? But a apex would control it?

Haddonisreef;355918 said:
Yes u need something to turn off reactor when ph is to low or high.
Okay that sounds like I might go with this guy. So all I would need is a apex and a calcium reactor? Where do you place the reactors?

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
It would go under your tank next to sump. Shop around other reef forums sometimes u can find good deals on used equipment, just the reactor and controller can add up pretty fast price wise.

Haddonisreef;355920 said:
It would go under your tank next to sump. Shop around other reef forums sometimes u can find good deals on used equipment, just the reactor and controller can add up pretty fast price wise.
Great thank you I'll look into that and what apex do you recommend?

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;355916 said:
You need to keep a low ph in reactor 6.5 +/- .20 to melt media.
This is mis information. As every systems uses different levels of minerals as well as different medias have different melting points as for ph.
All media can start melting as soon as 7.5 ph. But if you are using ARM Large media this is probably a good starting place.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Shaunv;355896 said:
However, since I purchased the Apex, I have been really looking at the Apex Dos.
I love it! The integration into Fusion makes setting up the dosing schedule and amounts a breeze. I dose bizarre amounts just because I can, like 6.3ml of calcium. Why not 6 or 6.5 you ask, because I like to exercise that kind of precision....because I can! Anyway, I also like the face that I can spread my 6.3ml over any time frame. I spread it over 2 hours twice a day. It's pretty slick, and the build quality looks and feels top notch.

I was seconds away on buying an eBay doser, the BRS dosers, Jebao dosers, magic something dosers. I really struggled with the decision, but it was the stories I found of dosers failing and potentially adding a gallon of Alk to your tank, you come home from work and see you pH is 15! I just felt like it was one of those things you REALLY have to trust, and when the other pumps sell replacement heads for $10ea. I started asking myself is it more of a "When" not "if" type of thing.

All that being said, there are many great pumps out there. Each has pros and cons, and I think it is about researching a product and trying to get a sense of your comfort level with it and if you are going to trust it to carry out a very important job everyday.

Balz3352;355944 said:
Before you commit to ca reactor do some research and watch some videos. Jumping a to a whole other realm from basic dosing to ca reactor. I'm not saying don't do it im just saying learn about it first!
Yea I been looking at some videos and I'm not sure yet??

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;355925 said:
This is mis information. As every systems uses different levels of minerals as well as different medias have different melting points as for ph.
All media can start melting as soon as 7.5 ph. But if you are using ARM Large media this is probably a good starting place.
Sorry man not tryen to mislead u, never said I was a expert lol

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;355951 said:
Sorry man not tryen to mislead u, never said I was a expert lol
all good. but if he did 6.5 ph with 2 little fishies media he would spike his levels to insta coral death levels in a few hours. So have to be careful with the recomendations

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
mbaeza64;355954 said:
That sounds to complicated I might just go with a dosing pump!

Its really not any different than using dosing pumps. It is just changing the threshold on your ph controller or flow rate of water through the reactor to match the needs of your tank.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You could always buy my brs dosing pumps and my apex lite.

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
If you want a good "101" on calcium reactors you are more than welcome to come to my shop and see them running and I can go over them with you. We run 8 reactors at the shop and our service accounts and have had a lot of experience. At least you would be able to answer the question whether it is right for you. They are expensive but easy to work with IME.

larryl

Clown Fish
Seems like a lot of people start out dosing 2-part because it's easy and cheap to get started. Then if 2-part dosing can't keep up with the tank's demands (e.g. you find yourself dumping in liters of the stuff because of high growth rates), you can move up to a calcium reactor. For a smaller tank, or one with lower needs, you might be totally satisfied with 2-part.

I started dosing 2-part by hand, then got a couple of 1.5ml per minute Drew's Dosers from BRS (I like the Drew's Dosers because the rollers have 4 points of contact instead of 2, so are way less likely to backsiphon). I initially had the dosers running off a light timer, which gets tricky to dial in exactly how much to dose each day, but now I have an Apex so I can control the durations down to the second if I wanted to.

If you have a larger tank, and think at some point your dosing needs are going to be high anyway (e.g. lots of SPS and/or clams), you might want to spend the money up front and get a calcium reactor. I'd definitely take up Cris on his offer to see one in operation and get an explanation of what it takes to set it up to make sure doses the correct amount - it's not rocket science but it makes a lot more sense when you can see it in action.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
crisc;357119 said:
If you want a good "101" on calcium reactors you are more than welcome to come to my shop and see them running and I can go over them with you. We run 8 reactors at the shop and our service accounts and have had a lot of experience. At least you would be able to answer the question whether it is right for you. They are expensive but easy to work with IME.
+1 great opportunity if not just for some knowledge.