To drywall or not to drywall.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys.. Doing my basement sump and I cannot decide whether to drywall or not to drywall. I already have foam board insulation but a thin layer in between concrete and frame.

If I drywall im going to have to fireblock and put batts up. Cost more etc.

No drywall im done, can spend money on the build. Hide pipes within the 2x4 frame.

Another option is only put up pvc pannel to help with barrier and clean ability. I'd do this to drywall if I put it up

Opinions

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
I'd drywall it for resale value if nothing else. Also will help keep things clean with the pvc.

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am at almost the same step in finishing my fish room right now. I would drywall it but I ended up getting enough go board from work that I can do the entire room in it. It is basically a better version of Hardy board. I will try and get some pics up in the next week or so.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can always sell it as unfinished storage if it ever came down to it, and that can be just as valuable. Cheaper on taxes that way too, not counted in finished Sq ft. But I'm honestly sorry I never finished mine.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd finish it. You will thank yourself later. Honestly it will never be easier to do it/ less of a hassle. Sucks in terms of $ and time, but it will feel great having that done.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO, I would drywall if you pulled permit and getting inspected. When talking about selling the home and resale value, I have HEARD that if the work was not permitted and inspected, that a buyer/home inspector could try to discount the value of the improvement. If there is no drywall, at least they could see the framing, plumbing, electrical etc and verify that it meets code and is not a potential hazard.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
If your goal is to get a permit and have it inspected, they might want to see work that is covered by drywall. Just something to consider. Nice looking work so far!