To Kessil or not to Kessil....

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
My current LED Experiment is not giving me the PAR reading that I would like, so I have been looking at making a new fixture and starting from scratch. That is until last night. I was looking into the Kessil LED pendants and have been really impressed by the photos and videos that I have seen.

I have been considering buying 2 15000k Ocean Blue to compliment my current LEDs and hopefully increase my PAR to good levels. If they work as well as they are touted to then I may purchase a couple more in the future and get rid of my huge LED fixture all together.

What do you all think?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
The AquaMedic lights will give you more PAR at half of the Kessil A150 price, bring your PAR meter and see for yourself.

If I was going with Kessils, I'd get the A350 though. That way I can get the high PAR and dim as needed. The "tuna-blue" will be the dimming ones, get it "tunable"

lpsouth1978@msn.com

The aqua medic lights don't look like that will give the same coverage as the Kessil. Also I would love to get the A350, but the optic angle is only 62 degrees and recommended for tanks over 24" deep. I don't want to wait a month or 2 for the A350W to come to market.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

The lens worked well, but I couldn't figure out a good way to attach it. It definitely focused the light well and increased my PAR.

From what I have found the Keesils can cover up to a 2x2 area. Though I think that would be a maximum area. If I was to go all Kessil, I would do 4 of them over my 90.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

It looks like the A350 will be released in the next few days. I am considering getting these, but am worried about the 62 degree optics. If I got 2 of these how high would I have to hang them to get good coverage? I'm sure someone on here can figure this out with a little math. The tank Dimension are 48"x18"x20", basically there are two openings that are 20" across. Any input would be appreciated.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

I really don't know. I have been unable to find any dimensions for the lens. All I can find is that the fixture is 3.8" (length)x4"(diameter)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hold on Lyle, I'll bust out CAD after I finish folding clothes...lol

Here's one scenario where the tank is 48"x20", if you want complete coverage from the front (I just thought of the fact that I didn't do front to back) with the Kessil A350, you'd need to hang them roughly 22.5" from the surface of the water to the bottom of the diodes. You can also choose no overlap (above the water anyways) and have complete side to side coverage by having them roughly 17.25" above the water. You'll have to wait until after dinner for the front to back, unless someone else wants to CAD it up.