Toms Aqualifter with or w/out the suction prefiler

I have just set up my ATO with a jbj and put on the toms aqualifer to feed the tank. The aqualifter turns off after about 1 min of being on. I do not use the suction prefilter and was wondering if this is really necessary for it to work properly or did i just get a bad pump.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Both of my pumps sit level with the top off containers. tried it with top off above pump but sometimes it would just syphon from the top off container with pump off.

no top off water is below, I can post a few pics soon. Its pretty much a 3.5 gallon jug with the top off at the top and then to tank sump about 3' to the left and slightly down.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You might try putting the pump closer to the top off, as I understand, I think these pumps are better at pushing water than pulling it. Does the pump work correctly when it is out of the system? Like sitting on the counter pumping water out of the sink?

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is almost exactly like mine is set up only the pump sits on the floor. Do you have an extra hole drilled in the cap? This should be working as setup.

I have not drilled a hole yet but I did unscrew the cap last night hoping to let more air in. I have had the pump for a while and stored it in super cold so maybe it was just messed up by that. I think I will just order a new one and hope for the best, from what I know it is the most inexpensive top off on the market.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can take it apart and check the diaphrams , they are replaceable. Hope you figure this out, sounds like a pump problem to me.