1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Tony's Intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tony, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Tony

Tony Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Started out with a 38g about 2 years ago rescuing a Hippo Tang during a snow storm that was abandoned. Now I have a crystalline 85 with 40 refugium. Currently using current ic loop. Have just received my viparspectras (2). And need some advice on set up mainly what level should I start out the ramping up. And on off timest. Thanks Tony

Attached Files:

2. Fourthwind

Fourthwind Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

Welcome! LED lights can be a struggle in the beginning. Start low (like 30% blue and 12% white) and watch your corals. If they stretch, then add 5% per week until all is happy. if you see things shrinking, then dial it back. An important thing to note is that LED's while they can work very effectively, have a high chance of burning corals if the water parameters go out of whack. Typical ramp times are an hour going from zero to what your high level setting are, a 6 to 8 hour photo period, then an hour ramp down time. Everyone's tank, aquascape, coral stocking, and ect are different. Do not use someone else's final settings.

3. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I like 6 hours at max intensity (start lowish here. 50% is a typical starting point and add or remove depending on how corals react), 3 hour ramp up and 3 hour ramp down to/from the minimum intensity of just blues, 6 hours of complete darkness, and the remainder at minimum blue only intensity for viewing purposes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

4. Cherub

Cherub Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

welcome! I do max intensity for 2 hours and the rest of the time is ramp up/ramp down for 10 hours total

5. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Welcome!

6. Tony

Cool! Thanks! I have them 10" off water line. Water depth at 17" to sand bed. I think I have that on course! NOW my problem is i dropped a plastic nut while removing the currents. Can't find it . Having a pinpoint metal detector overnighted. Lol praying I can find it. One step forward and 2 steps back.

7. zombie

If it's a plastic nut, it's unlikely to be an issue. Put some polyfilter in the tank if you're worried at all. It will change colors and remove heavy metals if introduced to the tank.

8. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Welcome!

9. Tony

Sorry I've been working on the issue. Kind of slow. 2 back surgeries and knee replacement last 4years. No worries! The nut had possibly brass insert. Non ferris. Thanks Tony

10. Tony

Oh polyfilter will now be in my arsenal.

SkyShark likes this.
  11. zombie

If its potentially brass, polyfilter and carbon can both remove any leached metal. I would pre-emptively use one or both.

12. Legonch

Legonch Emerald Reef Supply M.A.S.C Club Member Featured Sponsor

Hey Tony, welcome!!

13. Tony

Thanks this is a kick.
    Will do! Thanks

14. Tony

Thanks will do.

15. Tony

Found It. Right under the rbwbta I believe it had consumed it and exspelle it. Crazy. Thanks Again Tony