Two new Hamilton 250 w pendants.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
jda123;643740 said:
They are PEC - Phoenix Electric Company. You can use them for 2 years.
That's really good news. I love the color and extensions I'm getting now.

Now I need to get some led strips and can't afford the reefbrights xho.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why? What do you need the LED for? The coral doesn't need them - the 14K will give them everything that they need. The LED would be want, not a need, so don't feel bad for the coral if you have to wait a while to afford what you want since they would just be for you.

This is a little bit of a tangent, but not totally: many people a year or two ago when MH started to really come back into fashion kept their LED fixtures with the "best of both worlds" thought. Many did not realize that their LED fixtures were still hurting the coral a bit for whatever reason (I don't want to get into that) and saw even more gains when they removed the LEDs altogether. Some added T5s instead and some just used the MH. In any case, you don't need a LED with a high quality MH setup.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
That's very true, I really only want them for the pop they give. And after time I may not even need (want) them once I start to see the growth I should be able to achieve with good stable water.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Hey Doug - How long would he run the halides for if he has no other lighting supplementation? I am adding a 150w MH over a biocube and was thinking of doing 4 hours of halide and 4 hours of T5's (which I don't have yet). But if I don't have to buy anything else I'd like to just run the halide. But would I then run the halide for all 8 hours and leave the tank dark the other 16 hours?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;643784 said:
Hey Doug - How long would he run the halides for if he has no other lighting supplementation? I am adding a 150w MH over a biocube and was thinking of doing 4 hours of halide and 4 hours of T5's (which I don't have yet). But if I don't have to buy anything else I'd like to just run the halide. But would I then run the halide for all 8 hours and leave the tank dark the other 16 hours?
I ran my 400w XM 10k halides on my tank for 4 hours/day and saw great growth. Plan on same light sequence on my next setup.
I ran t5 actinics for supplement/colors and only ran these for an hour before/off/hour after and the zoas kept great color and growth.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
TheRealChrisBrown;643797 said:
rest of the time the lights are all off?
Yup, I used the actinics from time to time when someone was coming over or if we had company but other than that I stayed to that schedule and it worked well.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run my halides for 9 hours. Off and on with a simple light timer. That is all. I used to use some VHO, and might again, but I would still run the halides for at least 8 hours.

They only time that I would ever turn the halides off is if the water would not stay cool... but I don't live in the midwest here anymore and I don't have small tanks and the heat is a blessing here in Colorado. I would watch the heat of a 150 on a biocube in the summer, but otherwise, just run it the whole time.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
jda123;n643822 said:
I would watch the heat of a 150 on a biocube in the summer, but otherwise, just run it the whole time.
I am going to tie the BC into my ~180 gal system, and the BC will be in the cool unfinished basement next to my sump. Hopefully heat won't be an issue, but I will keep an eye on it. Thanks!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;n643822 said:
I run my halides for 9 hours. Off and on with a simple light timer. That is all. I used to use some VHO, and might again, but I would still run the halides for at least 8 hours.
Doug you should totally add some UVL Super actinics on that 120/150 (I forgot which one it was) you have. It would be RAD!