Unsure about using this rock.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pics don't show it as I was just trying to show the surface. But these rocks make amazing caves/overhangs. However it's certainly not reef rock. THe larger one on right when a bit of the tip snapped off was fairly granular on the inside, but on surface you can see is completely pockmarked in kinda bubble shapes, though not very porous.

The one i was a bit more concerned about was one on left, so dark it's almost black, on back side it also has brown marks, unsure if residual life or possibly rust almost? Both are pretty heavy/dense. I have plenty of filtration surface area otherwise. THese were from someone elses tank, and I had them for a while in my 210. I was fighting some issues before I had to breakdown for move. (Random corals not doing well, but others fine, and my lions both passed 1-2 months apart) But I put that down to more bad parameters I let build up working 80hrs/week and then shocking things with too much GFO. Now I wonder a little....

Any good way to test the rocks for bad stuff or get a better idea? I've already poured some bleach on them, followed by a spray down and let sit with vinegar before soaking in RO to clean off.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
PM a place to drop off water? I was kinda thinking about you from other thread. Any particular time to soak them? Salt, or would RO be better to promote better leeching? I'm sure there will be some phos/ammonia from residual life in a lot of the little shells and such on them.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Lace rock, some say not to use it but I have had it in successful reefs for more than 20 years.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Lace rock hurts nothing. It will never have the filtering qualities that porous rock has but it will not hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk