Upflow Algae Scrubber UAS

rjl45

Clown Fish
After reading a series of posts on MASC (Walter White) and the other forums (Santa Monica), I decided to make my own algae upflow scrubber. Background: I have a small 24 gallon Current Aquapod tank. The tank is now 9 months old and have performed 5 gallon water changes every two weeks. Filtration consists of 20lbs of live rock 15lbs of live sand, 1 mechanical filter and 1 bag of Seachem Purigen. Livestock consists of 4 fish, 10 snails, 5 hermits, 1 shrimp and 30 corals. My numbers are consistently 1.024 salinity, 8.2 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, 10-30ppm nitrate (varies depending on water changes), and 0.25ppm phosphate. The phosphate and nitrate have been climbing over the last 2 months and I have decided that I needed to work on a nutrient export strategy so I don't have to increase my water changes. Because my nano has very small compartments in back I don't have space for a media reactor, skimmer or refugium. I do have space for an upflow algae scrubber...so here we go!

Parts List:
cross-stich mat, plastic sheet from Michaels, $0.70
air pump (4 liter/min) from Petco $20
air tube, included in air pump
plastic dish from Thai food take out ($8 for pad thai....mmmm good!)
super glue gel
light (mine is led, special thanks to Kris, aka Walter White)
timer

Step 1: Preparing the mat. You need to make the mat as rough as possible. I started with a belt sander, using 40 grit sand paper. This roughened the entire mat, cutting small grooves into the mat.

After the first sanding, I then used my small hole saw to roughen the mat further. Holding it in my had, I scraped it side to side and in circles. I tried using a drill, but did not work nearly as well as using by hand.

From all I have read, you'll want the mat to be as rough as possible to give the algae something to grab onto.

Step 2: Preparing the plastic dish: the soon to be UAS. Following Santa Monica's design; I put holes 2 large holes on the top (1/4", 1 for air tube and 1 for air release), 7 smaller holes (1/8") on each side for water outflow, and 11 small holes on the bottom for water inflow. To make the holes cleanly and precise, I melted them using a torch and drill bit. You will need good ventilation.

Last edited by a moderator:

rjl45

Clown Fish
Step 3: Gluing everything together: Roughen up the plastic dish with sand paper and roughen up the air tube. This will help the glue stick to everything. Stick the air tube in and glue it down. I then cut a slice along the tube at the bottom and then a few cross cuts. This allows a place for the bubbles to come out. I cut 2 pieces of matting, one at a diagonal, the other square. and glued everything together. I used some help from Jack to hold the matting down while the glue set.

Final product:

rjl45

Clown Fish
Step 4: Adjusting for the Light intensity. Kris warned me that the light was very intense, so I sanded the acrylic shield to diffuse the light, and that still seemed really bright, so I took some leftover matting and taped it down over the light. This helped diffuse the light and I think will be the solution.

Only time will tell.

rjl45

Clown Fish
Step 5: Installation. I rearranged some items in the back, and also created a couple addons to help reduce the noise. First, I place the air pump in a insulated box, with egg crate foam, cut some air vents and stashed the whole thing in a cabinet. May have been a little overkill, but I can't hear the air pump at all! Next, I made an exhaust muffler, so that as the air leaves the UAS it is silenced. It is made from a simple $1 syringe from King Soopers.

rjl45

Clown Fish
I did my water change today, but took a couple photos right before I vacuumed up the algae. This is the starting point...not really that bad, but I am getting tired of cleaning the acrylic every other day. I will consider it successful even if it helps keep the acrylic clean. I am going to start with running the LED 16 hours/day. We will see in a week how it all works.

And a small comment before the fish police show up : ) Yes, that is a red mandarin in a 24 gallon tank. He was a "rescue" from a LFS (starving to death). I keep 15 gallons of copepod cultures going just for him and feed about 500 copepods daily.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Andrew_bram;637109 said:
Open the bottle of Jack Daniels for the frustration of this hobby just a bit of advice
+1

So I'd never heard of the upflow version, and I'm pretty intrigued (especially since I've got a small AIO tank like you). How do you plan to clean it, since you glued in the mat? Just scrub away?

I'm definitely interested in this, but I've got some cool macros in my tank that I wouldn't want to outcompete. I'm curious to see how yours turns out.

And I want pad Thai

rjl45

Clown Fish
Andrew_bram;637109 said:
Open the bottle of Jack Daniels...
Oh, I have! ;)

JodiI;637118 said:
How do you plan to clean it, since you glued in the mat? Just scrub away?
I plan on pulling the tray out and scrub the mat. Hopefully the algae will be thick enough to just grab. Maybe not after the first week, but hopefully after the second. But we will see. I'll post updates after a week.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for posting this. I like your design. Glad to see Walter White's light went to good use. I am still wrestling with a purple mushroom eradication project and tank upgrade before I can tackle the Turf Scrubber.

rjl45

Clown Fish
Day 7 update: minor buildup. Looks to be mostly slime and not the green hair. Still optimistic because many people report that it can take a couple weeks to get a new screen started. I decided to up my light from 16 hours to 18 hours for the next week. I am not observing the "burn" spots Walter White showed during his experiment, so I am encouraged that the diffuser is working.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rjl45;n638105 said:
Day 7 update: minor buildup. Looks to be mostly slime and not the green hair. Still optimistic because many people report that it can take a couple weeks to get a new screen started. I decided to up my light from 16 hours to 18 hours for the next week. I am not observing the "burn" spots Walter White showed during his experiment, so I am encouraged that the diffuser is working.
Yeah if I remember correctly it may have been closer to three weeks before I really started to see any significant growth and maybe 5-6 weeks before it really took off. But that was a long time ago so I'm not really sure any more. Also might take a bit for it to be able to start out competing any other algae growth in the display and will vary from my experience depending on the nutrients available in the water column. Looks like it's definitely on the right track though!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh and just for reference I didn't see the burn spots really becoming evident until I was getting consistent growth but I'm willing to bet the diffuser you added will make all the difference.

rjl45

Clown Fish
JodiI;638128 said:
Any difference in the display?
Maybe it's my optimism, but I have noticed a slight improvement in the DT. The sand looks a bit cleaner and didn't need to clean the acrylic as much as I had been. The numbers however, havent shown an improvment. Nitrate held constant at 20ppm, and phosphate at 0.25ppm.

Like Kirs said, it will likely take another week or 2 before it is fully established.

There's a lot of people who believe in scrubbers, myself included. I've had two different successful ones on my old freshwater tanks. Also when my 55g freshwater system had an algae scrubber going strong, I almost never had to clean the glass. Keep us posted and don't forget to get into the scraping routine right from the beginning regardless of how much your scraping off!

rjl45

Clown Fish
Day 15 update: pulled the scrubber and brushed it off with a tooth brush. Definitely starting to grow and outcompete the algae in the tank. Not the thick mat of algae yet, but not sure I'll ever get that. I think the scrubber may be a bit oversized for my 24 gallons, the bio load and the amount I feed...Maybe I'll start feeding a little more :) forgot to run water tests yesterday, so I'll run them today and see what the numbers say.

With all that said, the DT is looking good. No more algae in the sand, none of the rock and down to cleaning the acrylic 1-2 times week.