uv and red leds

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
what do you guys think off adding uv and red leds?

do they help the color?

how do they affect growth?

will the UV lights hurts my kids eyes being that they will probably have the opportunity to stare right at them since im not using a canopy?

what about green leds?

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
No. Red helps plant growth. Which in our case is algae growth. And there are no studies to say UV does anything other than kill corals.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i was just watching a video and the guy claims that the uv lights encourage the corals to produce a "fluorescence" to help protect it self from the UV making it more colorful?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
and then there is is the almighty radions with the red and green in there ...i would like to assume they did some research on these

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A lot of the led light makers are adding UV and red to there units. I don't adding a few red and UV will actually harm the tank in any way. I used UV for a while and had no ill effects, the only reason I switched them out is when I added my newer cree leds.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
but is there any purpose in adding them ....did they help anything?

and what about looking at the UV's?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well mdrumm already has some pretty nice growth running ten Radions. So all the red and green leds hanging over his tank certainly isnt hurting anything

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
kalgra;139368 said:
Well mdrumm already has some pretty nice growth running ten Radions. So all the red and green leds hanging over his tank certainly isnt hurting anything
lol...he has 10 radions ...a few red and greens probably wouldn't hurt much assuming they could actually hurt anything

im really more interested in adding UV's than messing with the red and green though ...unless there is some good info out there saying that i should

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Give me a year and I will have the money/resources to do a comprehensive study on different led colors and their effect on coral growth. Science fair here I come (next year).

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
yeah that is what I wanted to do for the science far as well but alas, I am poor. And Lazy.. lol

I didn't have the UV lights on long enough to really notice any difference and when I was going to try them a again, I blew them up trying to make my own driver. Used the wrong resistors.. hehe

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I have both red and UV led's in one of my builds. Since each color is on it's own dimmer I am able to run each color on or off as I want. I ran the UV LED's on the tank for a long time and did not notice any difference in the corals. Part of the problem is that some of the UV is filtered out by the optics, some by the glass top on my tank and some by the water between the LED and the corals. I don't think that enough UV gets to the corals to do anything. I personally don't think that it is worth spending the money on them.

I actually run the unit with the red LED's on because I really like the colors that the red brings out. One word of warning though, it only takes a LITTLE red to do the job. I have 72 LED's and only 3 are red, and I only run those at about 20% while everything else is at 100%.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am probably way off here but I was told once that the kessils have a nice balance of UV output. Does anyone know if there is truth to that?

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
SO I googled'd UV light and coral. Have yet to find anything other then the 1 article with no real proof claiming any good can come from UV light

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
google allows for a biased search if you try ...lol

try searching ....coral fluorescence uv

lotsa pages even some scholarly articles at the top .....let me know what they say if you read them ...lol ....i didnt yet

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm going to be putting red, turquoise, and true violet in my build. Might have more of an opinion in a could months.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;139460 said:
google allows for a biased search if you try ...lol

try searching ....coral fluorescence uv

lotsa pages even some scholarly articles at the top .....let me know what they say if you read them ...lol ....i didnt yet
Doing a search matrix on google will yield the best results.