Vega's have arrived!

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Just recieved my Vega Color and really like this light! I have one on my zoa frag tank right next to two Sol units. I have yet to really get it fully programmed, but I do notice a few things with the new set up:

1. The unit itself is slimmer than the sol units.
2. The spread is better.
3. There is cool "demo" mode which is nice to show off to customers or play disco music to.
4. The controller is pretty slick and they seem to have added a few more functions.
5. Wireless control is great as well. It still needs the power cord but it does cut down on the "daisy chain" mess that sol units have.

I will do a few more updates as I dive into it a little more. I don't have a par meter but will borrow one and test it out. If you are interested in coming by to see it in person give me a call or stop in on Saturdays!

Cris

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wohoo!! Bet the zoa tank looks great.

Out of curiosity, when does the disco ball get installed?? :)

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you like shadows in your tank then yeah. Two will be fine. But with the spread on these your going to need 3

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
You asked for it, Stevie Wonder is about as "disco" as I can get with my music library!

[video=youtube_share;CNSoxjZFhaM]http://youtu.be/CNSoxjZFhaM[/video]

I would say no Andrew, they can easily penetrate 22 inches but a standard 150g is 6 feet. I think you would have too much shadowing with only two units. I would say three would be ok.

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats awesome! Thanks for the video! I truly believe AI already had a leg up on the Radion's but with the Vega Color this will make them the clear leader in the industry. Cris, what is the price point supposed to be on the Vegas? What do you think the minimum/max tank size is for one of these units. Any distinctive difference between the Sols and these? Any other updates?! I'm excited these are finally released, I've been following their PR for a year now. Thanks for the demo! One of these days, when I'm not buried up to my eye balls in work I'll make a trip over there....just in our busy season right now. Thx -TK

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm interested in these, but the lack of info from AI on release dates really put me off. Now I'm seeing lots of complaints on the PAR readings and on the sensitivity of the wireless controller (over on RC).

I'd be very interested to see your PAR readings, please post them up when you get them.

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
The Vega's will be coming in at $499 each and $79 for the controller. They re-designed their mounting a little which is an improvement. The biggest thing I noticed was that the spread is better with the Vegs units. They claim that the Vegas are good for a 24" square and the Sols arer 18" x 18" or something like that. The intesity is not as good as the sols according to the par readings reported by some reefers. I am finally going to buy a PAR meter this coming week and will get some better data to use. I don't have any experience with the Maxspect units so I wouldn't have any info on that unless I googled it.