Water mixing/changing station: What size to go with?

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
quillin35;351341 said:
I just set up my rodi for my system. I wouldn't worry about temp. I just did a water change and put a heater in it and it got way to hot. I let in run over night with the pump and its was 90, when I got to it the next morning. U should be fine if u let it run all night before u do a water change. here is a pic of my set up of my piping with an external pump. I only did 14 gallon drums because my system is on 70 gal. sorry the picture isn't the best wasn't planning on showing it to anyone really.
Thanks for posting the pic, that is the style I am planning on doing. My thought with having the water always at the correct temperature was to deal with an emergency situation, having to wait overnight wouldn't really help.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I keep 50G of saltwater mixed all the time. Never had an issue since it circulates. I'd say keep as much as convenient of both. My tanks topoff off direct from my ro/di so I only keep 5G of ro on hand. B

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my personal experience several salts i've tried are ok to store for months at a time without serious precipitation issues as long as you are not heating it the entire time. I will say that Salinity was terrible and precipitated badly no matter what. ESV has virtually no precipitation even after several months it still tested the same as the day after it was originally mixed and I've seen very little precipitation using just plain old Instant ocean. (again this is storing the mix with good circulation and no heat). I now transfer the stored water to another vessel for heating just prior to using it for a WC.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Walter White;351407 said:
In my personal experience several salts i've tried are ok to store for months at a time without serious precipitation issues as long as you are not heating it the entire time. I will say that Salinity was terrible and precipitated badly no matter what. ESV has virtually no precipitation even after several months it still tested the same as the day after it was originally mixed and I've seen very little precipitation using just plain old Instant ocean. (again this is storing the mix with good circulation and no heat). I now transfer the stored water to another vessel for heating just prior to using it for a WC.
Never thought about the heat being the cause of the precip. I always have mine heating with the intent of doing a water change.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya didn't know that either although I do only heat the water the day before I do a water change, but I do that just to save energy since my tanks are in the unheated basement and the room temp down here makes it so that the heater would run non-stop if I didnt turn it off.

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
[attachment=69022:name]
Here is mine. Floor space is tight in this room so i decided to go vertical. 50 gal top rodi, 25 gal bottom salt mixing. I like a big pump plus nozzle shooting in from top means violent mixing action. My thinking is it helps to oxygenate the water, and does a better job disolving the salt, no basis other than it sounds right to me.