water station build advice

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I currently have a 23 gallon Brute trashcan that i have been using to store RODI water. I am planning on building a simple stand to raise it up a little and add a tap near the bottom so I can fill a bucket easily (without pumping or scooping the water out). What parts will I need to create the "tap" (are there any kits you know of)? Will a bulkhead work with the curved trashcan? What are other people doing? Thanks!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Bulkhead should work fine, obviously just make sure you have the gasket on inside of thrash can. I have several just like this with no leaks

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Also the bigger the bulk head the bigger so that the gasket can absorb some of the curve of the trash can

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. Where do you recommend I check for the parts i need? Is this something most of the LFS's will have, or should I check Home Depot?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ya I would call around the LFS closest to you. HD does carry them though too just not usually the outside pipe threads we need for drilled tanks. However since its not for a tank these should be fine just make sure the hole you make is almost exactly the size of the bulkhead you get. I might suggest the 1.25" one so you have quick and fast flow :)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203258...toreId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203258816#.UmlohsvnbqA

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where is everyone finding the drums? And do they come smaller than 55G?

I would love to get a couple of containers around 30G to get rid of the trash cans I am currently using.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

I actually have a couple. One that I used and another that is still new. 2nd pic is how I used the one pair.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the heads up. :)

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't use them presently, but I didn't have problems when I did. They are a respected option in many circles, including agriculture.
That being said, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable using them in critical (life dependent) locations.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have some uniseals laying around in 3/4" and 1". You are welcome to a couple if you would like to try them out. They seemed to work fine on my DIY fuge, but they were at the very top with only a small amount of water pressure. I do not think I would trust them at the bottom of a 50G filled drum, but that is just my humble opinion.

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
The easiest solution is a vertical storage tank. These people have them in all sizes. http://www.boydsequipment.com/category/103-vertical-storage-tanks.aspx
The nice thing is that the bulkhead is already in them and they are strong and made for this use. The Rubbermaid cans really aren't.

I use one of the 25 gallon tanks to mix salt water. Hang a powerhead and heater in it and I'm always ready when I need water or a water change.I put a hose on the bulkhead fitting and open the valve.

sadams

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
As a side note (and maybe looking for feedback) you can search on Craigslist for "food grade barrel" and find someone selling used barrels, kind of wondering if once rinsed out people think this would be ok or risky?

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are a few of the experienced guys on here using those barrels, so assuming they contained something that could be well cleaned out then they would work great.

Edited to add:
In fact, here is a link that was passed to me of a place selling those barrels:
http://www.containerreclaimer.com/Poly Drums.html

Last edited by a moderator: