Watercolorsguy's 90

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought I would start a thread about my tank(s) not only to share it...but to get some comments so it can get better and better. Thanks for checking it out.

*Note: Sorry for crappy phone pics. They look even worse on a computer. Not sure why tapatalk doesn't keep them all the same either.

First off is my 90 reef. Running for about 16 months now. Recently switched from a standard 90 with an overflow box to a RR setup. Amazing what a difference the RR makes... not only in peace of mind but also in happiness of the tanks inhabitants.
View attachment 8914

Lighting for the tank consists of two 250W 20k metal halides, 130W of PC dual-actinics and 108W of T5 actinics. Possibly switching over to two 200W Evo LEDs soon if my plans for their use somewhere else doesn't work out.

Flow in the tank is achieved by the dual return via an Iwaki WMD30rlt from the sump and two Koralia 1400 evos and two Somalia eve1050s on a pulse quad wave maker.

Sump/'fuge is an Amiracle 400 wet-dry (36" x 12" x 16" approx. a 30g sump) with the middle section of bio-balls removed. Sump is divided into 3 sections. First area is a bio-ball area. I decided to keep the bio-balls in this area instead of live rock. One-half to two-thirds of the balls are kept under water. My thought was that if the bio-balls do become nitrate factories that would be okay because of the next section in the sump...the 'fuge. The middle section is reserved for the fuge and also the heater. I have chaeto, dragons breath, red gracillaria, and red bush hayi and 4 red mangrove seedlings just starting to send roots out in the 'fuge. I was running a 150W MH over the fuge for lighting but found it was a little too much for the chaeto. The other macros didnt seem to be negatively affected by this but I have since reduced it to a 75W grow light. Sump lights operate opposite of the main tanks metal halide lights.

(Above is current pic...thanks for rotating tapatalk.)
View attachment 8915
(Older pic above...no caluerpa in sump now)

Overflow is directed to the sump with 1" PVC with a ball valve and union for isolation from the sump. Water is returned to the tank via 3/4" PVC and the Iwaki pump. Ball valves and unions are in place to isolate the sump, pump, and tank independently from each other.
In the last chamber is the skimmer. It works but I would like to upgrade in the future and possibly relocate it. Current skimmer is a Coralife 125 Skimmer with Rio pump. It does a good job but I believe an upgrade would help. On occasion I will get some bubbles from the skimmer in the tank, but typically this isn't an issue. I would still like to relocate or change the configuration of the sump. It may not be an issue with the 125g tank being plumbed into it soon.
All dosing is done manually, the old fashioned way, by hand. Tank is fed once daily with brine, PC Mycis, O.N. Flake (occasionally) , and oyster feast.

So what's in the tank...

Fish:
1 Yellow-eyed Kole Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Cherub Angel
1 Six-lined Wrasse
1 Xmas Wrasse
1 Melanarus Wrasse
Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
2 Azure Damsels
1 Bi-color Blenny
1 Scribbled Rabbitfish

Corals:
Zoas/Palys:
Bam Bams
Tubb's Blues
Acid Drop people eaters
Fire & Ice
Nuc. Holocaust
Red/Burning Embers
Sunny Delights
Ked's Reds
Pink n golds
Pinks
Eagle eyes
Magicians
Candy Pinks
Zombie eyes
Eye of Rah
Ring of fire
Dragon eyes
Deepwater Eagle eyes
Purple Death
Green Bay Packers/Gorilla Nips
Watermelons
Australian blue
Lunar eclipse
Mohawks
and a few other no names and some I can't remember the names of, lol

SPS:
Ponape Birdsnest
Pocillopora Birdsnest
Orange Montipora Digitata
Purple Montipora Digitata
Orange Montipora Cap
Hydnophora (lps?)
Green Slimer
Bird of Paradise
Pink/green Birdsnest

LPS:
Hammer, green
A couple assorted Acans
Burning Ember Acan
Duncan, green
Duncan, purple
Blasto. wellsi
Christmas Favia
Frogspawn, green
Open Brain, green
Open brain, rose
Cup corals
Galaxia

Leathers/Misc./Nems/Verts/Rock
LT Green Toadstool, ORA
Std. Toadstool
Green Star polyp
Candalabra Gorgonian
Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (RBTA)
Xenia, lrg, pulsing
Xenia, Blue, Sm
Red, blue, and green meatallic shrooms
Orange Rodact. Shrooms
Kenya Tree
Scarlet Blood Shrimp
Asst Hermit crabs
Asst Snails
Emerald crabs
Mini brittle stars
120 Lbs live rock
Substrate is a mixture of crushed coral and coral sand. Approx. 80-90 lbs.

Will soon be plumbing these two tanks together with this 90.

125g tank will be a sea-grass zone tank, acting as a 'fuge, with sea-horses and pipefish and other similar zoned inhabitants. The other 90g I am unsure of what to do in it. Possibly a fish only tank or FOWLR. Time will tell.

===========OTHER TANKS=============

Update 1.14.2012
2nd 90 has been set up for a little while...plumbed into the sump on the 90g reef.
Lighting is provided by 1 250w 20k MH and 1 150w 14k MH
Setup as a fowlr tank design...
Has the following in it (from the 125g):
Live rock
Coral Sand
1 Clown Trigger
1 Niger Trigger
2 Large Maroon Clowns
RBTAs
Nuclear Holocaust Zoas
Asst. Pipe Organ
Halloween hermit crab
A few misc snails
Caulerpa sp. / Halimeda sp.

125g tank is currently shut down...in anticipation of getting it all setup for something....maybe extra large refugium as mentioned before or???

57g is still a thriving mixed reef tank.
LED lighting
20g sump/'fuge
Yellow Tang
B. Cardinal
Maroon Clown
Neon Dottyback
6-line Wrasse
Asst Zoas, LPS, SPS, softies

37g Bowfront is currently setup as a Clown/nem tank
Contains BTAs and a pair of Ocellaris clowns, (one onyx and one black).

25g tank is set up as a Clown/nem tank. With a pair of Ocellaris and RBTA and a few other softies.

55g tank is currently on hold and was recently emptied.

30g freshwater cichlid tank.

Last edited by a moderator:

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Finally mounted the RO/DI unit. 5stage is mounted in the furnace/water heater area with the outlet tubing going into the ceiling and down to the other side of the room between the 90g & 125g. I will be teeing it there with one end going to the 55g sump under the 125g for top off and the other end going to a storage container under the stairs behind the 90g next to the 125.
View attachment 8963
View attachment 8964
Shot of the outlet line going in to the ceiling. I sleeved the 1/4" line to help protect it.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dbarnes;190997 said:
Looking good!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Thought I better do something constructive after seeing your build!

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
WatercolorsGuy;189779 said:
125g tank will be a sea-grass zone tank, acting as a 'fuge, with sea-horses and pipefish and other similar zoned inhabitants.
Sweet! Can't wait to see that "slow critters" tank too. Cool project idea.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A short video from my phone...anyone need some Nuclear Holocaust? They are taking over!
The metal halides had just turned off, so a couple things have closed in response to the light change.

[video=youtube;qGfE0QdKD7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGfE0QdKD7A[/video]

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Nice Mike, tank looks great man! I really need to come by and see it in person soon. hopefully you can get those leds sooner than later and really make that quickly growing zoa collection pop!

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;192293 said:
Nice Mike, tank looks great man! I really need to come by and see it in person soon. hopefully you can get those leds sooner than later and really make that quickly growing zoa collection pop!
Thanks Chad, I think I will be picking up the LEDS today. You know you need some Nuclear Holocaust in your collection!

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Beautiful tank!