We lost an incredible reefer yesterday.

crisc

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
With deep sorrow and heartfelt sympathy I wanted to announce to the club members that Steve Hurlock passed away yesterday. He has been battling cancer for over a year and lost his battle. Steve was one of my best reefing buddies and I had endless discussions with him about aquariums, life and the love for the hobby we all share. Not only was Steve a great friend, his aquariums were an inspiration for me and many other club members and reef keepers from around the country and world. He and his wife Suzanne opened up their house to the club numerous times and allowed us to ooh and ahh at what he had created at 9000 feet above sea level. He owned a couple of aquarium shops here in Denver decades ago and was instrumental at putting the reef aquarium scene in Denver and Colorado on the national map.

Please take a moment tonight while you are looking at your tank and give Steve a second of your time and wish him the best in his journey. You will be sorely missed my friend.

[video=youtube;sncfi4hgnM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sncfi4hgnM0[/video]

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow I am very sorry to hear this!!!!! I only met Steve one time and it was actually in your store Cris!!! He just got back from somewhere and he brought your children a wooden frog that made a ribbit sound as you ran a stick down its back! That right there backed up all the great things I heard about Steve and his generosity in the past. What true stand up guy that is how I will remember him. My heart and thoughts go out to his wife, friends and family and Steve....... Have a beautiful and amazing journey and well continue to Reef On in your spirit!!!

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Man my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends his tanks were top notch and inspired me to do what I'm doing now

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Steve gave me my first SPS frag, it was like a collony.....

Reef on Steve, reef on...

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow rest in peace Steve meet him few times such a nice and will sure be missed

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Never got the chance to meet him but I can tell you that he has inspired me more than anyone else. True loss to the community.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never met him but his tank and videos on youtube inspired me to get into reef keeping.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So sorry to hear, my prayers and thoughts to his loved ones. I only met Steve once, we had a very in depth conversation regarding parasites and how fish in the aquarium setting are much more vunerable than fish in an ocean setting and our thoughts as to why. The numurous pictures I saw of his tanks were and still are an inspiration.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Prayers are with his family. So sorry for your loss

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was lucky enough to meet Steve and go to a couple of the meetings at his house. What an impressive tank he kept and what a great person. You could see his passion for the hobby. Always a good person when you talked with him. Prayers to help his family through their grief. Also to you Cris, I know how much time you guys spent together

reefkoi

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
This is really sad, Steve was always such an upbeat guy had the best looking reef if ever seen, I don't know what to say here. Rest in peace Steve you have a ton of respect from me

katyttt

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So Sad to hear, Steve was an inspiration to many reefers in the community, a passionate man with integrity. He seemed to always take the time to talk with anyone and make them feel important regardless of their experience in the hobby. Thank you Cris for sharing the sad news and the link with his marvelous tank. Keeping his family in my prayers.

samindenver

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never met Steve and from what i read here it is my loss. I've long admired you tubes of his tanks and can only hope to be half the aquarist that he was. My condolences to his family and many friends.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
On behalf of everyone on MASC the BOD has purchased flowers for the family in honor of Steve. Here is a picture of the arrangement.