What Am I? Identify Please

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I got this piece there was just one of these which looked like a tiny anemone. There now seems to be two of these little anemoes and they keep getting bigger.....but are they anemoes or something else??

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ewww looks like those guys gotta go! Anyone else have/had them?

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are in the middle of the rock and suck back in real quick. Any other ideas?

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just kalk paste then either with aptasia x or pickling lime. Get a small syringe and mix it in a paste then cover them with it. Its a sure kill, they are easy to remedy. Just like treating aptasia

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks you so much for the info! I had a few aptasia too and they may come back.

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm just trying to keep everything under control even if there is only two now of each :-D

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like the ones I had.use aiptasia x on the aiptasia and don't try to pull them out or they will spore up and spread 10x more around the tank .Do not get your corals with the aiptasia x!!. My majonos were right next to each other so I took a hammer and long flathead screwdriver and broke a nice chunk off to throw in my dry rock bucket (of course there's better ways to do it lol). Havnt had problems since. But make sure you get a good 2" around the anemones (just in case there's baby's growing around it)
Good luck and always be safe when breaking rock inside your tank!!

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I scrubed some aptaisa off with a toothbrush on some rock do you still think I should use the aptaisa x because they are most likely going to come back? I am too scared to chip at the rock to get the mojonos because they are in the middle of the rock and don't seem to move towards the edges. As soon as I move the rock they suck right back in making it even hard to tell where they are.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes. As soon as you break them they spore off and multiply all over your tank... Yeah..nightmare I know. Buy some aiptasia x and hit them as soon as you see them in the tank. Good luck

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
reefmaster719;186568 said:
Yes. As soon as you break them they spore off and multiply all over your tank...
this is incorrect. they do not spore off. Aiptasia anemones reproduce via pedal laceration (cutting the foot). If you try to cut them out of a rock, any little piece of their foot that is left behind will grow back into an individual anemone. Injecting them with kalk paste, aiptasia x, boiling water, lemon juice or any of the other known remedies may work, but may also take several applications to completely eradicate them. Employing biological controls such as peppermint shrimp, and/or butterfly fishes (if your aquarium can support them) can also be an effective means of treatment.

Majano anemones do NOT reproduce via pedal laceration and as such, you can cut them out of rocks in an effort to eradicate them.

Any time you are killing off a pest, be aware that tissue left in the tank will decompose, and as such can result in a spike in ammonia which is a biocide to the organisms in your aquarium. If you have a large infestation, be diligent about doing a few at a time, and don't try to take them all down at once. Also be prepared to run fresh activated carbon, aggressively skim, and do water changes to combat any allelopathy that may be resultant of killing off large numbers of nuisance anemones.

Boiling saltwater kills aptasia and majanos, works better than aptasia x in my opinion. Get a big syringe though, 60 ml. Works good. Get a tiny needle on the end and cook those little suckers.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Swanny;186627 said:
Boiling saltwater kills apatasia and majanos, works better than aptasia x in my opinion. Get a big syringe though, 60 ml. Works good. Get a tiny needle on the end and cook those little suckers.
Where did you find a 60ml syringe with a needle? That for putting down elephants or what?