What are the best water parameters for Zoas and Palys

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, I have been doing some reading about this topic and I am a little confused. I read on reef2reef that one should keep the Alk at 10. This seems a little high but it seems to be the consensus of people that frag Zoas. I also read that the calcium should be kept at 450 and Mag at 1400-1600. Also 0.07-0.18 and these seem to be high too. So my question is what should I shoot for. IE: target parameters? The reason I ask is that it seems that my zoas look healthy but not as bright color as some that I see here on MASC.

My levels.

Temp 78
Salinity 1.025
ALK 8
Ca 390
mag 1350-1400
PH 8.4
phos .02

tank is light is one Radion.

Thanks
Martin

Vdubjetta01

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't know if my zoas would be considered "bright" but I keep a few zoas as well as a mixed reef and have always have success with not so pristine water. I stock well or over feed or something but my nitrates are usually around 5-10.

I do like to keep my alk pretty high to me at least but having "dirty water" also I think has played a role.

Temp 80
Salinity 1.026
Alk 9
Cal 400
Mag 1350
PH 8.2
Nitartes 5-10

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
We wont get in my water parameters right now but I think the best colors and highest growth rate is all about find each particular zoas happy place :p Meaning light intensity and flow. For instance some zoas in my tank get the best color on the sand bed with low flow and some do best high in tank with high flow.

* only thing i can say about parameters is that the higher I keep my Mag (only use Tech M) the happier my zoas get - at least thats what I like to think lol

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So did I so don't feel bad! Chad need some pictures of your tank. But this is not the thread....right....lol! ;)

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MartinsReef;340500 said:
So did I so don't feel bad! Chad need some pictures of your tank. But this is not the thread....right....lol! ;)
Well since your thread had officially been derailed.........its a terrible mess right now (danged bryopsis battle) - phosphates way too high from lapse in RO/DI filter changes ugh

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So after skimming Chad's fake tank thread on reef2reef, It surprises me that "Chad" doesn't dose anything but Kent tech M mag and does water changes every 3 weeks. He also says he doesn't test any parameters. Its kind of hard to believe.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BrianH;340503 said:
So after skimming Chad's fake tank thread on reef2reef, It surprises me that "Chad" doesn't dose anything but Kent tech M mag and does water changes every 3 weeks. He also says he doesn't test any parameters. Its kind of hard to believe.
Yep kinda make me think that I over think everything!

I test, I dose and use gfo/carbon.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;340502 said:
Well since your thread had officially been derailed.........its a terrible mess right now (danged bryopsis battle) - phosphates way too high from lapse in RO/DI filter changes ugh
Chad that is why I started to run a gfo/carbon reactor.