What do you do?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am an electrical engineer at Xcel Energy in the Substation Design department. For those of you that dont know what a substation is, they are the big fenced off areas that we install large transformers, control which lines are on, protect the power system components, and automate the power system. My main focus is in metalclad switchgear and RTUs. Metalclad switchgear are used to cobtrol and protect the distribution system that the substation serves. RTUs are basically an Apex on steroids.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house. -robert heinlein

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I am an accounting manager for a company here in Denver working with mergers and acquisitions in a private sector. Best job I've had by far. Pretty amazing to see how small privately owned start ups with good business ideas get gobbled up by big corporations for ridiculous amounts of money a few years later. I know a lot of people think accounting is pretty boring but I love what I do.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;187238 said:
I run the Clinical Research Dept for a physician here in Denver; which means I do everything...getting new projects organized at our site, training staff, FDA compliance and QA, and seeing patients and doing basic exams and procedures. On any given day I'm usually either stuck behind a desk doing paperwork, or sticking patients with needles. ;)
Update :p

I now work for a contract research organization in Denver as a Project Management Associate, and manage a handful of clinical trials in oncology.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
09bumblebee;187222 said:
It's always cool and interesting to hear what everyone does for a living.

I'll start. I work for a medical company that does Dialysis. People that have kidney failure get hooked up on a machine and we filter their blood. Some of you have seen pictures of the huge water sytem and huge ro's we have at the units. I fix them and all the dialysis machines, oxygen concentrators, iv pumps, lots of equipment. I maintain 3 clinics. Colorado blvd and i-25, lowry, and 6th and sable. We have 34 clinics in colorado and 1900 in the U.S.
Do you work for Davita?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I worked for many years as a 3d artist on PC and platform games, both in studio and as freelance, but kind of fell in to QA jobs on the side to make up for the down times in the art stuff. Now days though I work fulltime as a QA engineer for Digital first media in the Denver post building downtown.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
scchase;300679 said:
Building Maintenance Supervisor for the State Capitol
Dude you work right across the street from me...:)

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm a deputy sheriff assigned to the Adams County Jail in Brighton.
(Cue doughnut jokes.....). Been in law enforcement for 20 years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just changed jobs. I am now an electrical engineer for NEI engineering in arvada. Still designing substations mostly, but I finally get paid for overtime. Woot woot.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

I make airplane brakes. I run a carbon fiber needle loom where we basically build carbon fiber boards and cut out preform parts that are sent into giant furnaces where a chemical reaction changes them to a carbon brake. Then they go through machining and finishing where they are prepared to be installed on aircraft. We make brakes for Boeing and Airbus. There's a pretty good chance that of you've flown on a commercial airline, we've had a hand in making the brakes.
UTC Aerospace Systems is the company I work for.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
aztecdreams;310452 said:
Where do I put the app in for that?
At the Los Barriles Certifiable Beach Bum Association. We'll set up headquarters at our rooftop Fins To The Left Bar & Grill when we get down there...

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow all of y'all are so smart.
My husband works hard as a sales manager for NAPA, so I can be a Stay_at_Home Mom.
While we lived in Minnesota I worked as a Spanish interpreter for Family Services, Medical, Mental Health, Probation, and a Little bit for the Court System.
Since we came to Colorado I've stayed home with the kiddos. Once our youngest starts school, I will probably start working again. In the meantime, the job of a mother runs 24 hrs a day. Never a dull moment... and its always something different. Reefkeeping and Bee Keeping are my two newest hobbies.
They're both great for the kids.