What do you put under your tank?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I didn't put anything under mine, but I did use a thin sheet of plastic coated material in the stand under the sump that is caulked around the edges. So it hold about 2" of water before it ends up in the floor.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My 150 has a piece of foam that is 1/2 an inch thick. It has a reflective silver side with words on it, it looks to me like it literally came off of a construction site as something they wrap new houses in? Anyway, the guy I bought it from said it is important because it will cushion against any irregularities in the levelness (from floor or stand) or changes due to settling.

I don't know if I believe him or not, but I put it under there anyway.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I kinda of led this the wrong way, sorry for the misunderstanding guys but I mean what do you put under your stand to protect hardwood and carpet floors.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ooo I didn't put anything but I have a basement sump. I almost put some shower liner under it but decided not to. That's what Kris aka Walter White did. I have some extra I'd let go for a frag if you're interested.

Why I decided not to is I have hardwood and hardwood needs to breathe. If you suffocate the hardwood it will either warp or discolor. Again what I've been told /researched. Best bet is to do like what mike did and seal inside of the cabinet to make it water tight to a point.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;n657706 said:
Ooo I didn't put anything but I have a basement sump. I almost put some shower liner under it but decided not to. That's what Kris aka Walter White did. I have some extra I'd let go for a frag if you're interested.

Why I decided not to is I have hardwood and hardwood needs to breathe. If you suffocate the hardwood it will either warp or discolor. Again what I've been told /researched. Best bet is to do like what mike did and seal inside of the cabinet to make it water tight to a point.

My my stand has doors on three sides so I could put a piece of wood behind all the doors so they still shut and paint and silicon that in so I have a barrier then. Other then that I think I'll just put a mat down under and another for when I work on the tank. Just looking to hear what others have done and maybe learn something that I hadn't thought about.