What happened to my BTA?

fonduecat

Cleaner Shrimp
I'm going to vote that maybe the crabs stressed it out. I had a happy nem in my tank. I never had crabs in it but the day after I added them it wouldn't stop moving. Ended up stressing itself to death. I don't think the crabs ever picked at it much, but I think they stressed it out.

SynDen;342384 said:
not likely, possible, but not likely. A large maroon clown might do that if the nem was to small to handle her affections. What kind of clowns you have, size, and do they host the nems?
Black clowns, pretty small, around an inch, and they did/do host nems.

fonduecat;342388 said:
I'm going to vote that maybe the crabs stressed it out. I had a happy nem in my tank. I never had crabs in it but the day after I added them it wouldn't stop moving. Ended up stressing itself to death. I don't think the crabs ever picked at it much, but I think they stressed it out.
i took out 3 of the hermits already, i think im going to take them all out except 1 or 2 of the smaller ones. i think this might have been part of it.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
bananaphone;342396 said:
Black clowns, pretty small, around an inch, and they did/do host nems.

i took out 3 of the hermits already, i think im going to take them all out except 1 or 2 of the smaller ones. i think this might have been part of it.

I have experienced the same issues... I am about to lose my 2nd anemone. I have 2 small/medium black oscellaris clowns (spelling). These 2 clowns are quite aggressive with the anemone, but what kills it is the robbing of food. The clowns have yet to figure out to bring food to it. Even when I spot feed the anemone, they rip the food away as if it was trash, so the anemone starves in time. My current one was extremely healthy when I bought it. Took about 3 months for them to thrash it to its current state. I currently have separated them, so the clowns have no idea their toy (anemone) is on the other side of the tank trying to heal itself.

It isn't taking in a lot of food, but it has a fighting chance now (fingers crossed).
Best food I have found so far is going to the grocery store... ask the meat guy if they have any mussels or oysters that have just opened. They usually will not sell these and have to throw them out, however they are still very good for cutting up into chunks and freezing. Then just take the chunks and thaw them out as needed. I use shot glasses and store them in the fridge the day before use.

fireheadman;347123 said:
I have experienced the same issues... I am about to lose my 2nd anemone. I have 2 small/medium black oscellaris clowns (spelling). These 2 clowns are quite aggressive with the anemone, but what kills it is the robbing of food. The clowns have yet to figure out to bring food to it. Even when I spot feed the anemone, they rip the food away as if it was trash, so the anemone starves in time. My current one was extremely healthy when I bought it. Took about 3 months for them to thrash it to its current state. I currently have separated them, so the clowns have no idea their toy (anemone) is on the other side of the tank trying to heal itself.

It isn't taking in a lot of food, but it has a fighting chance now (fingers crossed).
Best food I have found so far is going to the grocery store... ask the meat guy if they have any mussels or oysters that have just opened. They usually will not sell these and have to throw them out, however they are still very good for cutting up into chunks and freezing. Then just take the chunks and thaw them out as needed. I use shot glasses and store them in the fridge the day before use.
Yeah the black clowns were super aggressive on it. constantly rubbing on it and the side of it, even at night. I also had the same feeding problem. I would try to spot feed and the clowns and hermits would take away all the food.

since all this, I've gone away from keeping an anemone and clowns. my tank is now a pea**** mantis shrimp tank.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
bananaphone;347137 said:
Yeah the black clowns were super aggressive on it. constantly rubbing on it and the side of it, even at night. I also had the same feeding problem. I would try to spot feed and the clowns and hermits would take away all the food.

since all this, I've gone away from keeping an anemone and clowns. my tank is now a pea**** mantis shrimp tank.
A pea****? .....as in peaKock? (seeing if they both get masked)... LOL.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
fireheadman;347138 said:
A pea****? .....as in peaKock? (seeing if they both get masked)... LOL.
How funny... wonder what other words do that... bAss fish.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I added a second nem in my tank, this allowed the clowns to bounce back n fourth, and gave the nems a chance to grow.