What happened to participation

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
participation has been pretty much the same from web analytics atleast. This view is looking at the overview since Nov 1st to right now.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;n642216 said:
So are you saying technology is making us not mingle or be as active.

That's the whole point of technology it seems :).

When I travel for business, I book my flight and hotel online. I get my plane ticket through my phone. I pick a room at the hotel on my phone, sometimes I can even use my phone as the key. I can go an entire trip without having to interact with a human (except for the meeting) if I really wanted to.

What does that say about our society that all of our technology enables us to not interact with one another anymore?

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What about doing a how to class at each meeting, DARC had done this in the past. DIY LEDs, a calcium reactor etc, then the one that was built was raffled off, participation was the entry.

projectx;n642297 said:
What about doing a how to class at each meeting, DARC had done this in the past. DIY LEDs, a calcium reactor etc, then the one that was built was raffled off, participation was the entry.
+1 I would love to do a diy led class

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd still like to know how to embed pics. LOL

And I miss the crap outta the chat box!! C'mon! Where's the chatbox?? (the upside to losing it forever would be that I would remain the Chat Queen until the end of time)

And don't go blaming technology for not wanting to interact with humanity. I live in the least technologically advanced place y'all could imagine, and I can go for quite a long time without human interaction if I put forth just a smidge of effort. We don't even have mail here. Technology makes it easier, of course, but it's still doable.

Feel free to schedule a meeting at our house. The tank is enormous, and we don't hardly do anything to maintain it. We do pee in it sometimes, just to keep things running smoothly...

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;n642211 said:
I figure that I am just too old school to help anybody anymore. I don't personally think that anything made in the last 5-6 years is better, or necessary, than stuff that was older than that. ...and everybody is into new stuff. Lots of the old-timers are like this and the videos that BRS puts out have replaced many of us.
+1 Everyone is now all into LED's, And stuff like Zeovit, carbon dosing, and other unnecessary things. Very few people these days try the old proven technology. But I think it's because the current generation of reef keepers are part of the "I want a packed reef now" group and dont have the patience to learn how it was done 6-8 years back.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just because it is unnecessary to one doesn't mean it is unnecessary to all. As I am a person that likes learning about the hobby even if it is not something I will use

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
There is no chat box available that we have found to work for VB5. Trust me, we would add it back if there was.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
So you guys are all crazy and this is just perception. Visitors to the site has stayed even since november...new posts have actually gone up. about twice as much as before. This is Posts per week since November.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
FinsUp!;n642310 said:
I'd still like to know how to embed pics. LOL

And I miss the crap outta the chat box!! C'mon! Where's the chatbox?? (the upside to losing it forever would be that I would remain the Chat Queen until the end of time)

And don't go blaming technology for not wanting to interact with humanity. I live in the least technologically advanced place y'all could imagine, and I can go for quite a long time without human interaction if I put forth just a smidge of effort. We don't even have mail here. Technology makes it easier, of course, but it's still doable.

Feel free to schedule a meeting at our house. The tank is enormous, and we don't hardly do anything to maintain it. We do pee in it sometimes, just to keep things running smoothly...

I have struggled mightily with images as well. But I think I got it now. The way that's been working for me is that I use photobucket because it provides the URL that can be easily used to embed. You just need to add
around the link address URL. Give it a shot. it worked for me. I am using Mac. I think Kris or Chad had it posted somewhere, i was just following their instructions...

Last edited by a moderator:

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ValG;n642346 said:
I have struggled mightily with images as well. But I think I got it now. The way that's been working for me is that I use photobucket because it provides the URL that can be easily used to embed. You just need to add
around the link address URL. Give it a shot. it worked for me. I am using Mac.
Thats the same way you did it before? or am I missing something? Also if you hit the A in the top right of the post pox area it drops down all the advanced stuff to change font, etc, as well as upload images, videos, etc.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
that0neguy1126;n642348 said:
Thats the same way you did it before? or am I missing something? Also if you hit the A in the top right of the post pox area it drops down all the advanced stuff to change font, etc, as well as upload images, videos, etc.
Pretty sure it's the same way as it was done before, I just never did it in the past, always used attachments.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ValG;n642349 said:
Pretty sure it's the same way as it was done before, I just never did it in the past, always used attachments.
Should still have the option for attachments, same thing click the A, click the image button, then there is an upload tab.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ValG;642346 said:
around the link address URL. Give it a shot. it worked for me. I am using Mac. I think Kris or Chad had it posted somewhere, i was just following their instructions...
Ironically link broken.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;642345 said:
So you guys are all crazy and this is just perception. Visitors to the site has stayed even since november...new posts have actually gone up. about twice as much as before. This is Posts per week since November.

Visitors does not equal participation and new people making one post is not really participation I'm relating to when someone post a thread and lots of people chime in. Not I am building post count to buy and sell.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Too bad there wasn't a way to tally but look at looking back at when I joined the club but it seemed like almost everybody knew everybody in person now it doesn't seem that why. Maybe I am just becoming an old fart

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;n642358 said:
Too bad there wasn't a way to tally but look at looking back at when I joined the club but it seemed like almost everybody knew everybody in person now it doesn't seem that why. Maybe I am just becoming an old fart

Actually I think it has to do with how the club has grown over the years. Back when I joined there were maybe 30 people in the club. We had small meetings regularly that were always the same people with maybe 2 or 3 new people. It made it very easy to know everyone. Also 95% of those people are no longer active.
I forgot the latest membership audit we did but it's in the hundreds now. It makes it impossible to know everyone and has a much different feel then what the club was.

Whether that's good or bad? can't say, it's just different.