What happens when the Aqua Pump fails? Does the siphon stop?

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
This was my concern. I really didn't want to see 25 gallons of salt water on my carpet because the return pump emptied my sump into my DT.

Easy fix.

A "Madison M7000 Plastic Miniature Liquid Level Float Switch" from Amazon ($12.05) and a simple "piggy back plug" that you can find anywhere. I went with this float switch because it is very small and quality (and inexpensive). View attachment 16949 View attachment 16950

Hang the float switch in a safe corner and connect the wires on it to the piggy back. Then plug the piggy back into power with the return pump into the piggy back plug. That's all there is to it. If the siphon breaks the water level will rise in your DT and the Float Switch will kill power to the return pump.

No more messy surprises.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is this in-case your HOB overflow breaks siphon?

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Right. If Tom's aqua lifter breaks - it's only a cheap $15 pump. In that case the Overflow box siphon will fill with bubbles and stop the flow of water to the sump, but the return pump keeps pumping water to the DT. It will keep pumping until it runs dry. This.can not happen now that the float valve is in place. The valve will lift with the water level and shut off the return pump.

Nice! I swore off of HOB overflows after way too many floods (drill baby drill). This is really smart and would have solved a lot of problems. Actually it seems really obvious now that someone actually said it.