What is going on with my red planet?

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So about a month ago it quit encrusting the frag plug, and polyp extension disappeared almost entirely. I noticed the part that had encrusted the plug was bleaching so I moved it down a bit. The color is coming back to the base but now there are all these white tentacle looking things, any help would be great! Thinking I should dip it, or maybe it is just getting nipped by my foxface... Water perams are all ideal.

View attachment 8973 View attachment 8974

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you made any changes to the tank recently? Lighting, filtration, etc?

Those long white tentacles are usually mesenterial filaments, and from what I understand, acros will 'release' them as a feeding response, or if they're stressed...like if another coral got too close.

Bleaching could be too much light...it could also be nutrient starved if you recently made any changes that drastically reduced phosphates/nitrates in your tank.

Just some thoughts...I'm no expert, I just read a lot. ;)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did add a phosphate reactor, so it could be that. I have not seen it effect any other stonies. I added half the recommended GFO, but it makes sense.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I added a GFO reactor 3-4 weeks ago and had the same thing happen...so that was the reason I asked. ;)

I did start out with a small amount of GFO, then added a little more to the reactor. Yesterday I dumped that out (algae started showing up again) and added even more. I think the large amount of fresh GFO was too much, as 24hrs later I noticed a slight loss of pigmentation in the base of my red planet. It went from bright green to mostly pale green/pink. I do still have good PE...maybe slightly less than before though. My Cali Tort also showed a lot less PE and some of the tips seem a little lighter. Also lost the green color at the base of that coral.

When I get home today I plan on taking out about half the GFO to see if that helps. I'm also going to start feeding some reef chili again (stopped when I added the GFO) to see if the SPS begin to color up again.

But yea...my guess would be too much phosphate being pulled out of the tank rapidly and shocking the coral.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Found a good article on mesenterial filaments, I think you are right. Seems like it might just be a lot of worry for nothing.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea...give it some time, maybe cut back just slightly on the amount of GFO in the reactor, and supplement with some coral food for the SPS...if you aren't already.

Funny you posted this...I was gonna ask the same question and have spent a good amount of time reading up on the issue this morning. ;)

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alk is sitting stable at 9, calcium at 470... I recently ran Mag up to kill off some algae, but with that done I am now letting it drop back down to 1470. So my culprits could be the drop in phosphates, the mag spike or the addition of chemclean a week ago. I think I will do a water change today and see if I cant get things back on track. I may leave him lower in the tank, as the color return was dramatic. I didn't think I could put red planet too high under t5.