What is happening to my zoa?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Lol I don't know what its called or what it is actually doing. However here I'd a few things I have learned:

1.Don't worry about a zoa if its open.
2. Only worry if it is disintegrating, covers in a bacteria/slime/algea, sealed up extremely tight and is tall and narrow or hasn't opened in weeks.

So......with that being said, my guess is it either just caught something to eat in the water column or it is about to expell some waste. Either way I would say it's fine.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;295968 said:
Lol I don't know what its called or what it is actually doing. However here I'd a few things I have learned:

1.Don't worry about a zoa if its open.
2. Only worry if it is disintegrating, covers in a bacteria/slime/algea, sealed up extremely tight and is tall and narrow or hasn't opened in weeks.

So......with that being said, my guess is it either just caught something to eat in the water column or it is about to expell some waste. Either way I would say it's fine.
Thanks for the tips... Good info about zoas comming from the "zoa freak"! :D

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Odd you still have some ammonia... After 2 months, you shouda been well thru a cycle.

Whats your water change schedule like?

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well after a bunch of research and rewording and more research and more rewording I found on the Manhattan reef forum that if the zoa "mushrooms" puts its pedals down and has a short stock it is probably getting too much light. My zoa was pretty high up so I movdd him down.. I'll give him a couple days to recover and keep you posted.
On a side note they also said that if the stock is thin and tall it wants more light. Maybe a noob thing but as a new guy I found it useful!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Good to know. My fire and Ice zoas have been doing that a bit lately so, guess I should move them down a bit and see if they do better

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
yep will do