What is on my frag?

DyM;295837 said:
Hard to tell, but just dip it as you should with all new frags
+1

Dip, quarantine, dip, observe. Some like to pull frags off there plug, inspect and clean it before dipping. I know this has saved me plenty of heartache. Pics not very clear so I couldn't guess without freaking ya out.

ColoradoReef

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
So sorry. We take every precaution we can to avoid this. Please bring it in and we will give you money back/credit. As previously said we also always recommend dipping/QT. We are very disappointed that this occurred. We would never intentionally sell this. If you have any concerns/comments please call me at 720-363-3401

C.J.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Even if it is your friend you should always dip your corals. I sent a friend home last night with a bucket full of coral and told him he needed to dip. Do I have anything? don't think so. For sure I would never want to pass it along to anyone. But the point is you are responsible for what goes in your tank. IMO if you get nasties its your fault, you did not inspect, dip or qt long enough.

Lostman I am not calling you out in anyway. I am trying to make this thread an awareness tool. You inspected and caught it before you put it in your reef. You are exactly right no need to be mad. Elite (in this case), Aquamart, greatwhite or any other retail store has a hard time controlling this. Even if they dip and inspect they are trying to do this while people need water, phone is ringing, customers asking questions and just basic business. They could pass over eggs and never know. Also lets face it if they qt'ed coral for 2 weeks it would surly raise the price of all the products we purchased.

Kodos to Elite for standing behind the product hard to find good service any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bajamike;295853 said:
Even if it is your friend you should always dip your corals. I sent a friend home last night with a bucket full of coral and told him he needed to dip. Do I have anything? don't think so. For sure I would never want to pass it along to anyone. But the point is you are responsible for what goes in your tank. IMO if you get nasties its your fault, you did not inspect, dip or qt long enough.

Lostman I am not calling you out in anyway. I am trying to make this thread an awareness tool. You inspected and caught it before you put it in your reef. You are exactly right no need to be mad. Elite (in this case), Aquamart, greatwhite or any other retail store has a hard time controlling this. Even if they dip and inspect they are trying to do this while people need water, phone is ringing, customers asking questions and just basic business. They could pass over eggs and never know. Also lets face it if they qt'ed coral for 2 weeks it would surly raise the price of all the products we purchased.

Kodos to Elite for standing behind the product hard to find good service any more.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Reef coochies are part of the hobby.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bajamike;295853 said:

+1

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just want everyone to know. The pic were the eggs of AEFWs, and not the worms. If you dip, even with RSP from what I've read, the eggs survive. I lost a lot of coral last year because I had this parasite. Obviously real common in a real wild reef, but a real nasty, I'd say the nastiest, plague you can get. The points here are sooooo founded. For a friend, from a vendor, or REEF STOCK, DBTC, a freebie.. Dip and qt is the safest way to go.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lmao reef coochies!!! I will say this is the first time I have seen anything like this come on. Frag from elite and I have been shopping there for years now. I do know they do everything they can to avoid this but it's close to impossible for it not to slip by every now and then. Good job for catching it and very stand up job by cj and elite for standing behind their awesome service Nd offering cash back or a replacement. One more reason why I shop at elite first.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I have got to be more careful. I dip but don't examine too closely. One more reason to look over our specimens with a closer eye.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
No dip that I know of kills eggs, unfortunately. But that's just a personal experience thing, so someone else might have discovered one that does. RPS all out claims to kill eggs, but I certainly didn't kill zoa eating nudi eggs, so I wouldn't trust it to kill other eggs.

As far as I know eggs can survive a 5 dip process, that's why quarantine is needed. Once they are dipped, you let the eggs hatch in quarantine and then dip again to kill them. Easiest way, just time consuming for a good reason.

The only round about way to this that I know of (and not recommended alone, but with quarantine) is to remove the plug/rock/whatever, wipe down the area very well, use a magnifier glass and look for any other eggs, dip, rinse well, wipe and dip again then rinse rinse rinse. This process is pretty invasive to the coral and really cant be done well on some softies and zoas. But still, one missed egg without quarantine and it can ruin your tank. GL, dip and quarantine and dip again :)

This will probably sound really noobie but what exactly is a dip? And bajamike I have no problem with what you said. I think a QT tank is probably going to be erected in a few days lol

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
lostman;295943 said:
This will probably sound really noobie but what exactly is a dip? And bajamike I have no problem with what you said. I think a QT tank is probably going to be erected in a few days lol
There are quite a few coral dips out there. I personally use Coral Rx coral dip for all my corals. You basically pour it in after acclimating and circulate the water for a about 10 min then take out the coral and rinse it with ro water. Repeat as desired, then discard the dip water. Some people on here use multiple different products to dip there corals and dip them multiple times to get rid of any variety of pests that may be hitchiking on corals.