What is this? Algae in WC buckets?

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keep having this brown sludge in my water buckets. Have ran vinegar in them for 2 days with pumps and heaters that is use for WC and it come back. Maybe part of my algae issue in my DT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
On my 210 when I was leak testing it grew some weird stringy white gunk. Hmm

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ah ok gotcha.... my tank isnt even 55 gal lol. Need to find a 20 drilled on the low side

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
xjmav;284410 said:
Ah ok gotcha.... my tank isnt even 55 gal lol. Need to find a 20 drilled on the low side

Come over. We might have 1

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will spare you my essay on Kent and Coralife salt, but if I (and others) are right, then it would take a while for a critical mass of organics and metals to bond to the plastic before you would see any gunk.

It will also help if you dry mix the salt, unless you are using a whole bag at a time. The stuff settles and you can get some really inconsistent results.

A Muratic acid bath should take care of it - follow the precautions on the bottle of Muratic.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I too switched form food grade barrels to a glass mixing tank and no longer see any of the bacteria build up.

And for what its worth, Ive used all kinds of different salts over the years, all at some point would get the brown gunk build up if I didnt constantly clean the barrels. It seems to have something to do with the way the bacteria is able to attach to the plastics.

Now instead of cleaning barrels I simply empty and dry out the 40 breeder I use for a mixing tank and its ready to go for the next batch

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There has to be food to fuel the bacteria. Without it, no growth. I have used brutes, rubbermaids and some of the white ag ones for years without any slime build up. I mostly use IO salt, but have used some Tropic Marin and Salinity lately.

Basically, with the glass, you are putting it all into the tank rather than leaving it in the barrel. The issue is that the bacteria (or diatoms) can grow, so I would not be too concerned if they grow on the glass, but how to make sure that what is fueling them doesn't enter your tank to fuel other things there.

If you used a slime-common salt a few times, then you could get the bacteria for many, many water changes after that... unless you cleaned with a real cleaner. Clean that thing out with some real acid and try a different salt (IO, RC or Tropic Marin) and see how it goes... my guess is that you will be all good.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another thing to consider, is whether you ever "contaminate" your mixing barrel by introducing bacteria and organics from your DT.

Do you ever submerge the hose in your tank during the water change, then toss it back in the mixing bucket? Ever have any water siphon back into the mixing bin from the DT while using the pump? How about using the same hose to drain the tank and then pump clean water in from the mixing barrel?

I've found that all of the above scenarios can leave that stagnant smell and slimy surface inside my mixing bucket, no matter what salt I use. If I let it go unchecked, then I get that brown crap on the inside of my bin, and have to clean it out. I've started using separate hoses and don't let equipment that touches the DT enter the mixing bin...haven't had any problems since then. If I do have a situation where I know I've basically contaminated the bucket by accidentally back siphoning some water after shutting down the pump, then I just pour a cup of vinegar in the bucket with a couple quarts of water and wipe down the sides. Haven't had an issue since.

Not letting it build up and keeping the 55gal barrel clean has worked wonders for me. I use Kent and have never had any brown sludge since I've been OCD about keeping it clean; microbe-lift and salinity with lazy cleaning habits gave me problems though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm sure I contaminate constantly. In the book the conscientious marine aquarist, they recommend putting a cup of tank water into the WC bucket a few days prior to the WC. That is what I always followed. I'll look into a glass mixer and no cross contamination... Thanks all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk