What to put between tank and stand

If the stand is level I wouldnt put anything under it. Does it have a frame it sits on or is it all glass? I put one inch insulating foamboard under my all glass cube but that was mostly because of my poor woodworking skills and slightly off level stand.

bathomassr

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
reef dummy;634812 said:
If the stand is level I wouldnt put anything under it. Does it have a frame it sits on or is it all glass? I put one inch insulating foamboard under my all glass cube but that was mostly because of my poor woodworking skills and slightly off level stand.
The stand is fairly level, I'll fix that before I put the tank on. The tank is glass with plastic trim. I am operating under the assumption that foamboard or something else would help with preventing sump vibrations from getting to the display, while also dealing with minor imperfections in the stand top. Am I too concerned about this?

bathomassr;n634813 said:
The stand is fairly level, I'll fix that before I put the tank on. The tank is glass with plastic trim. I am operating under the assumption that foamboard or something else would help with preventing sump vibrations from getting to the display, while also dealing with minor imperfections in the stand top. Am I too concerned about this?
I dont know about vibrations from the sump but it certainly couldn't hurt. Yes you're correct about the minor imperfections of the stand and helping balance that out.. Since your tank is on a plastic frame and its just a 20g I wouldn't even bother with one honestly. Most people who have very large tanks use them as a just in case type of thing to try to avoid 300 gallons of water on their hardwoods.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I thought it was bad to put anything under framed glass tanks. I have a 1/2" of the foamboard under by 240g acrylic.

I wouldn't worry about anything on a 20g though.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;n634822 said:
I thought it was bad to put anything under framed glass tanks. I have a 1/2" of the foamboard under by 240g acrylic.

I wouldn't worry about anything on a 20g though.

That is correct - framed glass tanks should not have anything underneath. For what it is worth, every acrylic expert I have asked has said not to put under an acrylic tank either. I forget the reason, but I was surprised when I found out...

szavoda;n634914 said:
That is correct - framed glass tanks should not have anything underneath. For what it is worth, every acrylic expert I have asked has said not to put under an acrylic tank either. I forget the reason, but I was surprised when I found out...
I believe it's because acrylic is more forgiving as far as flexibility is concerned compared to glass.