Who dips zoas in peroxide?

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a few zoa frags that came in with hair algae and despite my best attempts to eradicate it it won't go away. I have read about peroxide dipping frags but I still get nervous about harming the zoa. Who has done this and what do you recommend as car how much and how long to dip the frags. Thanks for the help.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I have used 50/50 solution for 10 min and I have used 100% peroxide for 5 min when exposed to the 100% stuff they are po'ed for a few days but they bounce back

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have done this many many times and it does kill the algae on it but it will come back if there are already nutrient issues present. Its works great though if you get a frag from someone else and don't want to introduce the algae into your own system. I always used a 50/50 peroxide/tank water solution and dipped for about 5-7 minutes following as much manual removal as possible. I also would use a turkey baster to blast in and around the zoas during the whole dip duration.

I never had any zoas really seem to suffer from it. Most opened up again the same day or the following at the latest.

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also have done 50/50 dip, and have even removed frags from water and done a 100% peroxide squirt on the algae. I got as little of the 100% stuff on zoas as possible. Some were ****ed for a day or two but most didn't seem to notice 50/50 at all.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's what I bought as well. Just everyday 3% peroxide. That's what I read everywhere as being the right thing to use.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ThunderTwonk;312785 said:
I have done this many many times and it does kill the algae on it but it will come back if there are already nutrient issues present. Its works great though if you get a frag from someone else and don't want to introduce the algae into your own system. I always used a 50/50 peroxide/tank water solution and dipped for about 5-7 minutes following as much manual removal as possible. I also would use a turkey baster to blast in and around the zoas during the whole dip duration.

I never had any zoas really seem to suffer from it. Most opened up again the same day or the following at the latest.
This is my experience as well

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The only time i've had an issue with dipping zoa in peroxide was when one of the heads didn't close. It did that wierd inverse close where it actually opens up even more. Hard to describe, but if you have zoa's you know what i'm talking about.

Basically that polyp got destroyed by the peroxide, all the others that closed up didn't have any issues.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jeremiah;312806 said:
The only time i've had an issue with dipping zoa in peroxide was when one of the heads didn't close. It did that wierd inverse close where it actually opens up even more. Hard to describe, but if you have zoa's you know what i'm talking about.

Basically that polyp got destroyed by the peroxide, all the others that closed up didn't have any issues.
So basically just make sure the polyps close before putting them in the dip.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've done it many times. Always had good results.

And not to be a PITA, but don't forget gloves and eye protection. PO'd polyps can zap you, and peroxide won't help with the toxins.

NOTE: Do not do this with SPS! What works great for one type of coral can kill another. (sorry - I know you specifically say zoas, Josh, but I just wanted to clarify that lil detail for anyone else reading this who is thinking about trying it on other stuff.)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
FinsUp!;312881 said:
I've done it many times. Always had good results.

And not to be a PITA, but don't forget gloves and eye protection. PO'd polyps can zap you, and peroxide won't help with the toxins.

NOTE: Do not do this with SPS! What works great for one type of coral can kill another. (sorry - I know you specifically say zoas, Josh, but I just wanted to clarify that lil detail for anyone else reading this who is thinking about trying it on other stuff.)
Sounds like you have tried it before

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;312885 said:
Sounds like you have tried it before
Yup. Killed an accidental frag of sps thinking that what works on zoas must work on those, too.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Cake_Boss;312922 said:
Guilty as well. Another FYI, inverts and nems don't like this dip either.....don't ask.
lol