Who knows Jeeps?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thinking of selling the fancy little sporty Volvo c30 R and going old school. I loved my jeep in high school and want another. Looking to go cheep, partly to finance braces lol) and partly to get the real jeep feel! Looking from the mid 90"s to the mid 2000's depending on condition and price. Kinda want a bit of a lift or at least a bigger than stock tire. I will be using the thing to cart kids (9 and 13 around) What questions do I ask and what do I need to know as I test drive… Anyone know a bit about these things? I have a basic understanding of how a vehicle works but am by know means going to be doing much more than a basic break job myself. Any input would be welcomed!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know more than most about the 360 v8 Full Size Jeeps. I have have a few Grand Wagoneers, but nothing really that new.

However, be prepared to work on them. Unstoppable on snow and ice when running right, but a bit fickle.

You can probably buy one that is done for a fraction of what it would cost you to do it yourself. Unless you have a Grand Wagoneer that some soccer mom can drive (completely done and can be worth 20-60K and up), you get about 20-30 cents on the dollar for all repairs and mods.

There are some great message boards that you can read up on. These are highly modified vehicles that people post a lot about.

Forget about gas mileage.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I used to have a 97 wrangler and loved it. 97 was the first year they did away with leaf springs and went with coil suspensions which led to a much smoother ride.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think I am looking at a 94 tomorrow. Lots o miles but I can pay cash! It looks to be nice with lots of maintenance recently done. Clutch, breaks...

flyfish

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My 97 wrangler runs great, the only fit it has given me was the clutch.But that was after teaching two of my sons how to drive

flyfish

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would definitely look underneath the ones your checking out and make sure there are no hidin cracks in the frame and that it tracks well down the rode.I looked at a few around town for one of my sons and there are some that have been pretty tore up from off roading and climbing.But there were a bunch that you could see the owner took pride and kept it well maintained

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have a 89 Wrangler that I have had since I turned 18 (I have also have owned 2 other recent Grand Cherokees and drive a 2014 Cherokee now). Anyway the Ol' Red is lifted and has 33" tires and has been the source of many many great camping and 4 wheel drive trips. Mine is 4 cylinder but with low gears (4.11:1 ratio - soon to be 4.88:1) and is just fine off road but by no means is a highway cruiser. If you want and need to be able to run down the highway, I would suggest you get the I-6 cylinder for sure. Also if you plan to run anything bigger than 33s I would plan to get a gear ratio of 4:56:1 for sure.

I agree with Mike though for sure the coil springs are def smoother than the leaf spring versions.

Curious what your budget is

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Chad, I don't want to go over about 10 grand. Otherwise I'll just keep paying the car payment. Just thought this would be a cool car that I love with less $ than I'm into now. Might be a stupid idea too. Lol

I used to have a 51 Willys, so, I'm more of an older jeep guy. For me, the older the better with jeeps but I do actually like the new 4 doors a bit, just overpriced and underpowered.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Haddonisreef;364576 said:
Nice looking jeep what did it run of don't mind me asking? Just sold mine and need another jeep!
Paid 7grand. Is in pretty good shape. Mechanically great. Needs some paint and a new fender. Lots of crap around as well. People seem to think keeps crap gold nuggets the way many are priced.