Who wants to be able to swim with your coral?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
CRW Reef;312534 said:
Oh ya would be very cool for an actual wysiwg frag tank for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just wondering if you were hoping to take it further to unmanned watercraft or oil platforms and such to aid in repairs and inspections or something. Either way I am def in awe of what you have created and commend you on such a very cool thing for the hobby!!!!
I'd love to take this further. For now, I need to focus on being an adult again and go get a job. After that, I'm going to be itching to get moved into our new permanent home so I can start knocking down walls to make room for high priority things like an epic fish room/lab.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SkyShark;312543 said:
Oh wow, that would be so cool! Each coral could have a QR code or something similar next to it that could prompt a display to pop up with all kinds of info about the coral (price, care, etc). You could even have a PAR meter attached to the camera to show the lighting levels it is receiving.

Great work, so many possibilities!
I popped on to do one last final update and finally caught your screen-name SkyShark. Did you spend time in Airborne in the military? That was a term we always used in the static line world. Maybe it crosses over into free-fall as well. Or, maybe the name has nothing to do with falling from the sky. :)

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ok, one last update to close out the thread....

We had a successful booth at the University before heading our separate ways. Here is a quick picture of ours:

The system was built on top of a rolling display cabinet I put together. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before? All four sides folded down after the top was lifted off. This allowed us to lock it up every night to keep sticky fingers and prying eyes out of the work, tools, and spare parts. It also provided a nice sturdy shipping crate so that the system could be quickly prepped for the move here to Colorado by the shipping company. I ended up filling the inside of the crate with 20 sq ft of packing peanuts. I didn't want things to move around.

I'm now in Denver. We're temporarily in an apartment around DTC. I had planned on trying to set it up in the apartment once I got here, but there isn't room. It's still crated up and stored in our garage.

Future plans: I will definitely try to set this up in the future house. I have plans for a big fish/filtration room. Until then, I am still in the job-hunting process. If anyone has leads on jobs for someone like me interested in automation, robotics, hardware engineering, computer engineering, or as an electronics tech, I'd appreciate the advice.

I did have the opportunity to interview with a well-known local tech company. However, they were looking for someone to do strictly Software work (I was originally just invited to a career fair, but it turned into an interview). I had to be honest with them from the outset that I don't think I would have long-term job satisfaction exclusively writing software. I have a bad habit of being honest. Being a recent undergrad, I know I need to get my foot in the door, but I also know my limitations. I am a very hands-on kind of person. I'd rather be an electronics tech getting dirty every day than write code 60 hrs a week. Earning six-figures isn't my driving motivation. I am a older than most college grads and want to establish a long-term relationship with a company to grow professionally not take a job that I know I'll be looking to exit within a year. If I can get a job with hands-on interaction that also incorporates the design of embedded system software, I'd be in heaven.

I'll volunteer to host a meeting some day when we're settled in and this is unpacked. Hopefully, by then, I'll be in the process of setting up my next system. Thank you to everyone that followed and provided feedback.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Grats on successful demo. and Good luck on the job search. I'm a firm believer in being honest at an interview, if the job doesnt fit there is no sense in forcing it to do so. Hang in there you will find one that does fit you.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;318988 said:
I popped on to do one last final update and finally caught your screen-name SkyShark. Did you spend time in Airborne in the military? That was a term we always used in the static line world. Maybe it crosses over into free-fall as well. Or, maybe the name has nothing to do with falling from the sky. :)
Haha. Nothing to do with falling from the sky, but that is interesting!

Good luck with the job hunt.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SynDen;318997 said:
Grats on successful demo. and Good luck on the job search. I'm a firm believer in being honest at an interview, if the job doesnt fit there is no sense in forcing it to do so. Hang in there you will find one that does fit you.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm a worker not a talker. That translates well to job performance, not so much to interviews. I blame it on growing up on a farm. There was no reason to talk to the hogs. :)

charleshardy5;318991 said:
Awesome man! Good luck in your job search, would be awesome to take see this thing setup, hopefully I may still be around
Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting settled into a house of our own soon.

SkyShark;319004 said:
Haha. Nothing to do with falling from the sky, but that is interesting!

Good luck with the job hunt.
I did a search to link up a video of sky-sharking in action. I couldn't find anything good. I did find a couple videos of static line jumps gone wrong but that sort of thing makes my skin crawl. I don't enjoy seeing people in pain. Thanks for the good wishes with the job hunt.