Why did my emerald crab change colors

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Captured a crab today that i believe is an emerald crab that has changed color. I have only introduced emerald crabs and started with dry reef rock. He looks like this View attachment 11498
I think he is an emerald but has changed color. Why?

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its based off their diet. Mainly fish food and they turn white. Algaes and other natural elements they keep their greenish color. You can turn him orange with a little food coloring in his diet. :)

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Why did my emerald crab change colors

Oh yeah? Where did he come from? Like I said I only introduced emerald crabs and dry rock?

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure where he came from. Just google gorilla crab and you decide. I will admit i have been wrong before, just my 2 cents.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
looks like a gorilla crab to me too.... black claws give it away...

as far as emeralds changing color, it happens due to diet... if they eat green algae, they tend to be green.. if they eat red algae, they tend to be red... ive had red crabs turn green because of green algae... never had red algae for them to eat to stay red.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
+1 to gorilla crab. Its very likely it was mis identified, may have looked like an emerald and was sold as one, but i dont think it is, infact Im pretty sure its not. I would get him out fo the tank just to be safe.