will they fight?

I currently have a 29 gal tank that my starry blenny lives in. I am moving and my boyfriend has a 120 gal tank that we would like to join as many of our fish as possible in. He has a lawnmower blenny. Will the starry blenny and the lawnmower blenny fight with each other? I am having a hard time parting with my starry blenny....

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its always a possiblity with similar shaped fish. Give it a try and introduce yours at night to minimize the chance of agression when first introduced. If they fight, seperate them, if they don't, even better.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya they will very likely not get along with each other. make him give up his LB and put the starry in his tank since the starry is better looking anyway lol

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm with the others and say there's a good chance they will rumble in a smaller tank. Starrys are sweet.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd say to expect a rumble between the starry and lawnmower due to their similarities. My starry refused to share space with a jawfish and was the most aggressive fish in my tank until I added a kole tang that now keeps him in check.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
fishguy69;307401 said:
I'm with the others and say there's a good chance they will rumble in a smaller tank. Starrys are sweet.
A 120 is not a small tank. Thats why I said there is still a chance they may not fight. If it were the 29 it would be a no go for sure, but with a 120 you could be okay.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Indeed the size of the tank is working in your favor in this case, but these two are notorious scrappers so keep a close eye on them to see how they interact

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;307480 said:
A 120 is not a small tank. Thats why I said there is still a chance they may not fight. If it were the 29 it would be a no go for sure, but with a 120 you could be okay.

Was thinking of the 29gal and not the 120gal. I still think they will rumble in the 120gal. IMO

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think if it's a 4 foot 120 isn't going to help as much if it was say a 6 ft 125 footprint wise.

Could always keep a smaller tank running to, otherwise I'd say safest is ditch one of them. Because if they fight it may not be so easy catching one again.