woot! ...got me a dslr today

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
so i picked up a d3000 and a couple lenses for a helluva price today ...i just couldn't let kris have all the fun ....lol ....now i have to clean my tank :(

expect pics SOON !!! ...but not tonight

Nice. Congrats man! Ill join that team of capable cameras one day too. Currently using a panasonic lumix. Its fairly nice. A step above standard but still below slr.

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
dv3;109804 said:
so i picked up a d3000 and a couple lenses for a helluva price today ...i just couldn't let kris have all the fun ....lol ....now i have to clean my tank :(

expect pics SOON !!! ...but not tonight
I think you should come over and practice at my house, I have a ton of corals that need their picture taken.:)

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
if you haggle on craigslist long enough you can get one cheap ..i have been looking for just over a month mow

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
Put it in Manual mode and find these settings and fool around with them independently and see the results you get.
Here is a quick very general run down of what they do:

Shutter speed: 1/X, higher the number X the faster the shutter. Fast shutter will freeze moving objects like fish but you will also get less light to the sensor. Lower number = more light but if you get too slow you will start to see camera shake unless you have a tri/monopod.

ISO: higher the number the more the camera is boosting the exposure. You can use this to compensate exposure for other settings you are using (i.e. boosting ISO to make up for lost light with fast shutter speed to freeze fish motion) on most cameras once you get beyond 300-400 ISO there will be the addition of digital noise (kinda looks like a snow storm of random white pixels particularly in shadow areas) the higher the number the more noise, however there are programs and settings in camera that will reduce this noise but will make your picture overall a little less sharp as well.

Aperture (F-stop): This one is a little more confusing. This controls the size of the hole in your lens that the light passes through, so logically the bigger the hole the more light the sensor gets. However the numbers are a little counter intuitive. The smaller the number the bigger the hole, bigger number smaller hole. The aperture also controls the depth of field of the picture (how much or little is in focus) the bigger apertures (smaller F-stop #'s) give you a small depth of field (less stuff in focus) and the smaller apertures (bigger F-stop #'s) will give you a large depth of field (more stuff in focus). This one you really have to experiment with to get a feel for how it works. Frame a shot with an object in the foreground middle and back ground and take it with the biggest and smallest aperture your lens has while keeping the framing and the exposure the same. It will become really apparent what it does.

White Balance: Adjusts the colors the camera "sees" to compensate for color casts cause by various light situations. Cameras vary on how they let you adjust this. Most of the time there will be auto(works most of the time),various presets (cloudy, sunny, tungsten), and a range of Kelvin values that work just like the ones we use for our lights; higher numbers are more blue while lower numbers are more yellow.

Well those are the basics. There is a photographer that made a free online class that is pretty in depth and goes through everything a beginner photographer would want to know that he posted on his website here: http://www.alexandrebuisse.org/resources/photo-class

Have Fun!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol ...thanks
i was kinda joking but at the same time serious i guess .....im sure i will find you pointers useful

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
xsocali;110673 said:
Don when you are done arguing with the Southerns,post some pics up .lol
some people ...lol
i have some i need to post

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;110660 said:
anyone know how to work one of these things?
Apparently not you , still no pictures it must all be a lie !!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;110660 said:
anyone know how to work one of these things?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;110677 said:
chrislorentz;110678 said:
3rd times charm...lol

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hehehehe

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
you know it was like xmas when i got it ..it was my favorite toy ...lol....but im like a 5 year old and it soon found itself a cozy spot in the closet
i played with it some but i have some algae issues at the moment so i will probably wait till i get my macro filters before i post any thing that way i can by zoom pass the algae ...so nothing yet but im sure as the days grow colder you will see some

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;112114 said:
$$$$?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
too cheap to tell but ill probably sell it in a few months for a more than fair price to upgrade to a d5000