Workshop Build

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
A year ago I posted a build thread for a robotics project I was a part of at the University of Washington:

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forum...-Who-wants-to-be-able-to-swim-with-your-coral

Since then, we've finally made the move to the Denver area, spent some time in an apartment looking for a job and a house. We're finally here! We found a great place in Golden. The garage and open basement were the selling points for me. Now, starts the long process of building a shop to work out of for woodworking, electronics, and our future aquarium/filtration room.

So, consider this a pre-build-build. The fish room and basement will be next.....

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
This is the blank slate I have to work with for a work space. Actually, about half of the space will be for the shop, the rest will be for typical garage use. My wife isn't about to park outside like she used to in Washington state.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
While we were in the process of completing the house paperwork and I was waiting to hear back on the place I now work, I had time to start drawing out my plans in Sketchup. This is an overhead view.

Some other perspectives:

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I finished framing the walls in time to realize that I should have gone through the permitting process. That put the project on hold while I lined up the permits and got a local electrician lined up that would do the work and actually permit the work. That turned out harder than I had thought. Most I talked to just wanted to fly in, run wire, and run. I wanted everything correct for insurance and resale purposes.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
We built a 3' deep by 12' long shelf above the garage door for extra storage. That's my wife up there.

...and I just realized how fuzzy that picture is. It still gives you an idea what's going on.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The electrician just finished a week or so ago and the inspections are over for now.

The window looking opening is there for a cabinet that will stick through the wall into the garage. I will have a chop saw there that needs a lot of depth. I also need to keep the sawdust out of the main garage. So, the cabinet will be a dust-catcher and provide me the working space for the chop saw.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Very nice, glad you finally made it to Colorado. :welcome: Quite the project you got going there, you do nice work. Looking forward to the fish room for sure :)

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks everyone for checking it out. I've been dreaming about having an actual shop space for a long time. It's like an aquarium, no matter how much space you have to work with, you could always use a few more square feet. I'm loving the 12' ceilings. Or, I will love the 12' ceiling once I'm done hanging OSB and drywall.

That's today's project. Hang OSB on interior side of shop walls and then cover everything with drywall.

The cabinets are mostly assembled and stacked where I should be parking my truck. I still have some in shipment and some being returned due to damage in shipping.

I wanted to build all of the cabinets myself because typical shop cabinets in the box stores are so cheep and useless. But, with work and life getting in the way, I had to compromise on some acceptable quality metal cabinets. Once I reinforce them and do some modifications, they will work. They'll be cheeper than what I would have spent on materials alone for complete DIY and will save a lot of time.

I'm anxious to get to work on the basement. I am looking at a 5' x 5' peninsula tank.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks amazing! The little op amp circuit made me laugh a little. I dig the the little details in your drawings.

cant wait to see more progress!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;336706 said:
Glad you've joined us looks like a great project!
JuanGutz;336713 said:
Pretty dang sick seeing it in sketchup to what it is now!
Munch;336656 said:
Nice!! Welcome to town!!
xsocali;336680 said:
Welcome.....nice shop your building there.
SkyShark;336681 said:
Great space and nice work!
RuRoo;336689 said:
Good progress
SynDen;336695 said:
Very nice, glad you finally made it to Colorado. :welcome: Quite the project you got going there, you do nice work. Looking forward to the fish room for sure :)
Thanks everyone. We are glad to be here and glad to be moving forward. It never goes quick enough.

ThunderTwonk;336716 said:
Looks amazing! The little op amp circuit made me laugh a little. I dig the the little details in your drawings.

cant wait to see more progress!
You have some sharp eyes! That's the little "Easter Egg" in my drawing. I had to put something there so people could tell it's a white board.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Not much of an update. Things seem to be moving slowly. We got the drywall up in the garage side on Sat. We had to interrupt work to go get scaffolding after realizing how ridiculous it was to try to hang rock up 12' in the air with a single ladder. The work is obviously much easier with something stable to stand on.

We also were able to put up OSB on one wall in the shop on Sat.

This week during the evening, we've gotten up more rock and more OSB. We should have the rock done by tomorrow night and will start mudding on New Years day with the day off.

(Don't look too closely at the drywall. I have been rushing a little to get it done.)