Gabe’s Double or nothing reef build

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Figured the best time to be doubling from the 75 to 150 was when Brandi was away for the week....let’s just say she doesn’t know about this yet....more to come!

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank is plumbed! Next step is to check for leaks and begin mounting the electric and other tank components!

Does anyone have suggestions on power strips? I’ve accidentally electricuted myself when my sump started to overflow once when using a cheap 8 outlet one.

Also, I have my current 75 gallon setup and would like to move my livestock to the 150g. Should I transfer the water and sand and add 75g of saltwater? Or should I start with a fresh recycle?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank is plumbed! Next step is to check for leaks and begin mounting the electric and other tank components!

Does anyone have suggestions on power strips? I’ve accidentally electricuted myself when my sump started to overflow once when using a cheap 8 outlet one.

Also, I have my current 75 gallon setup and would like to move my livestock to the 150g. Should I transfer the water and sand and add 75g of saltwater? Or should I start with a fresh recycle?
Price of power strip is irrelevant. What is important is placement and ensuring every cord has a drip loop.

I would suggest that you add new sand and dry/live rock to supplement what you have in your 75g that will be moved over. Fill it with new water and waterchange water from the 75 and add a few scoops of sand and a couple small pieces of livestock from the 75g to seed the bacteria population. Let it cycle until ammonia and nitrites spike and go to zero. After that, add a few more scoops of sand and live rock and give it another week as a buffer. Then move everything over and outside of a minor cyano and diatom bloom you should be golden.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree drip loops are important. But i would get some used sand that you see on people posts and giving it a little rinse. Also I know it's a little pricey depending on where you get it but I would buy live rock. It makes a world of difference. Personally I will never use dry rock again if I can help it.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends on how clean the dry rock is, but I would tend to agree. Mature rock is always gonna cycle better but if you have dry rock that has been properly acid washed and cured, it can have lots of benefits (particularly aquascaping) that can be worth the extra maturing time to some. Since you are using live rock from the 75g and will probably end up with piles of rocks secured with 2 part export anyway, live is probably better for your scenario. I would only really recommend dry over live when you are trying to make unique shapes that require cementing and fiberglass rods like I did on my tank or you cant guarantee the live rock is free of parasites and nuisances like aptasia.

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the rock I have once at one point live rock, it has some dead worms and pods and stuff on it as well as a few algae colorings that are blue and pink.

So, it’s dry “live” rock? Or do I need wet live rock?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the rock I have once at one point live rock, it has some dead worms and pods and stuff on it as well as a few algae colorings that are blue and pink.

So, it’s dry “live” rock? Or do I need wet live rock?
You want acid washed dry rock, or mature live rock that has been continuously in water. If you throw that in without removing all the dead stuff first, its gonna take forever to cycle (months rather than weeks) and will probably give you phosphate problems for the next year.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is also the lanthum chloride method which is easy and works incredibly well at pulling all the phosphates from the rock. Takes a bit of time, but effective. Do a search on reef central and there is a large thread on it.

You’ll then want to seed this rock with live rock from an established system

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
I decided to use the live rock from my 75gallon and just buy some of the rock from the LFS. Still going to run it in water for a few weeks or so and continue to check the phosphates, ammonia and etc. definitely taking my time on this one.

Meanwhile....I’ve began to have fun with some of the AI Vega LED’s that came with the tank. Apparently there’s a rave mode for those fish that really like to party....here’s a video I took:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good call. Make sure to give it an ammonia source so the rock builds and maintains a good bacteria population. A couple small crushed up pellets each day works well for this.

The fish may not like the rave mode, but it makes great entertainment to mess with the wife. I like to freak out the girlfriend by activating a lightning or rave mode when she's looking at the tank and I'm in another room.

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
That’s hilarious, and a great idea I’m going to have to steal!

What were you thinking for the pellets? fish food pellets?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah fish food pellets. Doesnt take much since fish wont be eating it first so it almost all converts to ammonia. Flake or frozen works too, but frozen needs to be blended first or it takes forever to break down.

McFish

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welp, the transfer happened today!

Everything went well but the aquascaping. Between Brandi’s OCD and my mother happening to be staying with us for a few days, it was quite stressful. Of course she wants nothing to do with anything until big decisions like aquascape is made....ugh!

I’ll throw some better pics up after the fish have had a chance to chill with blues on.