would this work?

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
If i plumbed a running and established tank into a tank I am setting up would it cycle the new aquarium ?

I.E
If i started up a 29 gallon bio cube bare bottom minimal rock
and ran a well established 14 gallon bio cube as a sump would it in turn cycle the 29 gallon right away ?
I would of course stock the tank slowly over longer periods of time

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
No, would likely cause a re-cycle on the 14 while the 29 cycled. It would help speed up the process though

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'd transfer some rock into the new tank but don't connect. It's going to cycle, if only a small one with that's very short. You can also get a product like Dr. Tim's one and only. It works pretty well. I'd hate to risk your current stock to save a couple weeks.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If the 29 had no ammonia to contribute, then there is no cycle. However, don't underestimate how much rock can die by moving it - lots of people do and even moving rock from one tank to another in the same house can cause cycles.

I might suggest doing some 5g twice-a-week water changes on the 14 and putting the 5g in the 29. After a few weeks, you should be golden.

Anybody think that it is funny that Mr Saltwater Tank asked Dr. Tim to review his own product. What is he gonna say?