WP40 too big for 75gal?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Im getting ready to downsize my reef for a while, times are crazy and rather than break down and start over later Ive decided to simply downsize, keep all my coral and a few of my prized fish.

I need input to see if my WP40 is gonna be too much for the 75 gallon im going to downsize to. Its makes a hell of a wave in the 180, even at partial power so Im thinking it will be.

It if is I would be interested in trading it for something smaller that will better work for the new tank.

Please share your thoughts

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Too big... I have the WP25 in my 75, perfect... I think Chad tried a WP40 in his 75, and it was too much.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Munch;269523 said:
Too big... I have the WP25 in my 75, perfect... I think Chad tried a WP40 in his 75, and it was too much.
Yup i would say unless you are going bb with sps only you might be ok :D otherwise IMO its way too insane with sand

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
No BB, very little SPS.

Soo, with that said, who wants to make a trade??

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have two tunze 6095s and one wp40 on a 72 + the return line flow. Not too much at all in my opinion. I do have a lot of sps though

dont give up on your wp40 yet. it is a great pump. i run 3 on my 18"x20"x144" tank. put the pump as high up as you can without creating a whirlpool on full blast constant mode. aim the pump slightly up but not so much that you create splashing. turn the pump all the way down. slightly increase the pump speed every few minutes until you start to move sand. then turn the pump slightly down from there. this will do a few things for your tank
1. the pump will create an under current that pulls water up and allows your over flow to get more waste to your sump/skimmer
2. aiming the pump slightly up will agitate the water surface which helps oxygenate the water(more stable ph)
3. high flow will keep your sand bed cleaner. i also believe that flow is not just good for sps. zoas/palys get amazing long skirts in high flow. they also multiply faster. coral need to acclimate to flow just like with lighting. if the coral is not getting its flesh ripped or torn away from the skeleton then the flow is ok ime. the ocean is so much more turbulent than our tanks. even in the deep.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
But Im not looking for added flow, flow is not the issue, its specifically the wave feature I like and I think the WP40 creates too much wave for the 75 gal. Unless I dial it back with a potentiometer (sp?)

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
What do you mean? The pump only has 3 settings, I do not have it wired with a switch.

Sorry you are correct. I forgot that the pump speed is not adjustable on the wave modes. i use the constant mode which is adjustable. The else mode or the constant mode would work on a 75 gallon.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Yeah, ive done the whole constant / chaotic current method for years and noticed a huge difference in they way my coral grows and looks with the sway of the wave, huge difference IMO

ReefCheif;269626 said:
Yeah, ive done the whole constant / chaotic current method for years and noticed a huge difference in they way my coral grows and looks with the sway of the wave, huge difference IMO
Can you elaborate on your findings?
Corals better with sway compared to constant chaotic current?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Seamatt Nematocyt;269697 said:
Can you elaborate on your findings?
Corals better with sway compared to constant chaotic current?
Ive had the WP40 running in my 180 for about a month. My zoas are bigger and more colorful, my LPS's polyps are bigger, the torches extend more, the acans look huge, my BTA actually stays bubbly. Ive been having issues with SPS and the little bit that I do have have been doing much better since adding the wave maker. My fish seem happier too, my clowns have bred 3 times since adding the wave maker, before that they only bred twice in 3 months, my sand looks cleaner. No debris build up on rocks. These are all things i have noticed a significant change in after adding the wave maker.