Wrasse for pest control in a 30 gallon.

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys I was just wondering what kinds of wrasses would be a good fit in a 30 gallon tank to help control pests. I know six line would work but are their others that I could keep? Thanks for the help.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What kind of pest issue

J.guokas

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
SLewis;264864 said:
What kind of pest issue
Well I don't have an issue now but trying to plan for disaster in case it did happen. I had a scare with red bugs and a couple flatworms, caught them before they went into my tank but just in case I don't catch it. I'd just like to know what other wrasses will help out.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My yellow coris was always docile and did a great job. Just get a small one and trade him in when he outgrows the tank...mine was fine in my 28g cube for over a year before I upgraded.

Sixline is probably best. Right sized fish for that tank and they are the most active foragers out of any Wrasse I have kept. The pygmy and possum wrasse stay small but I have no experience with them. A sixline will eat flatworms but I have never seen mine go after redbugs. A pipefish is the only fish I have heard of that will eat redbugs.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You have a bunch of options in this category.
6 lined
Yellow corris
Green corris
Leopard wrasse
Potters wrasse. - expensive and a tad difficult to get on stuff other than frozen
Maelanarious wrasse - would be a rent a fish. After this gets past 2.5 in you would have to reloacte this
Christmas wrasse. - same note as the mael
Possum wrasse
2 spot wrasse - $70 wrasse
Lubbiks fairy wrasse
Filiment flasher wrasse. - a covered top is a must have. Constant jumpper

And tons more under the rent a fish category

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
J.guokas;265316 said:
What do you guys think of mystery wrasses?
They do get large and if you have shrimp and crabs they will be on the menu

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know that as disappearing wrasses. Like a mystery wrasse, but cheaper and not as good looking. I personally don't prefer the Pseudocheilinus genus for pest cleaning. Halichoeres genus wrasses are more efficient.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
sethsolomon;265595 said:
+10 to leopard wrasses
I have a pair of leapords, would like to add a couple more females so my male had a harum (sp?)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;265610 said:
I'd say no! I think the chorus is the one for you!!
+1 I would definitely not do a leopard in a 30 given their survival rate...sensitive fish as it is.

Yellow choris still gets my vote.