Wrasse suddenly died :(

bush8984

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Didn't read the whole thread, just the part up to where I was mention so forgive me it it's been covered or mention.

The order the wrasses came in on where from Bali. The entire 200+ lot of fish came from the same collector. Of course no one but them were around to watch them so nothing can be said for certain.

I've heard nothing out of the ordinary about the order from anyone else. I've ordered from the same supplier multiple time and haven't had any issues outside admitted poor Acclimation, jumping or stupid mistakes that I did with my inventory.

I've seen fish caught with cyanide. There usually small signs prior to death. Like blindness or not swimming perfectly fine one second then instantly dead a month and a half later. My. 02 and account from dealing with this supplier for a year

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
bush8984;299365 said:
Didn't read the whole thread, just the part up to where I was mention so forgive me it it's been covered or mention.

The order the wrasses came in on where from Bali. The entire 200+ lot of fish came from the same collector. Of course no one but them were around to watch them so nothing can be said for certain.

I've heard nothing out of the ordinary about the order from anyone else. I've ordered from the same supplier multiple time and haven't had any issues outside admitted poor Acclimation, jumping or stupid mistakes that I did with my inventory.

I've seen fish caught with cyanide. There usually small signs prior to death. Like blindness or not swimming perfectly fine one second then instantly dead a month and a half later. My. 02 and account from dealing with this supplier for a year
Thanks for the input, good to know. Certainly not blaming anyone for this, but sad to lose such beautiful fish so suddenly like that and looking for responsible ways to avoid it in the future. Although I will note that the tang and jawfish I got with the same order from you are still doing really well so far. But ya still would really like to build a 3 female 1 male harem of these or a similar fish, just have to find them and do my best to ensure they are healthy and responsibly collected. Information is key

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well, if you manage to get a harem group of them, or even similar one like mccosker's, and hold them for awhile, I would certainly be down for looking them over and deciding.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Sounds good.
If anything though starting this post and the input from everyone made me really start looking into collection practices more. I was aware of cyanide collection but until I started reading more about it, really didnt understand how bad that really is for the fish and the reefs in general. Certainly makes you stop and think a little bit more before hand. Although Bush is right there really is no way to know if the collector really is using responsible practices, unless you often go collecting along side them. In the end we just have to take them at their word, observe the livestock carefully that comes from them and make our best judgment based on what we know and see for ourselves.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
bush8984;299380 said:
Tell ya what. I'll get my hands on them for you and sit on them a month. Then you can come take a peak yourself and decide
This is awesome. Not many vendors would be willing to do this. I applaud you, sir.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:rockon:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Awesome! looking forward to them. Thanks man!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
...like I was saying, typically the people who have good suppliers know it and will stand by their fish. Some won't. As a hobbyist, you really need to know the difference.

I've had this happen to my two tangs. They were completely happy and eating then they dissappear for days and we find them dead. Like the original post water parameters are fine

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Hey Bush, was trying to send you a pm but you inbox is full.