Let's talk flow.....

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How much flow do you have in your tank? What corals and what fish are you trying to keep happy? What are your favorite flow methods and why?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do about 80x turnover during the day and 30x during the night. The point of confluence goes through a full cycle every 6 hours and flow is randomized. This seems to be working very well and some of my sps are growing 1/2-1" per month (larger colonies) and others are in the 1/4"-1/2" per month range (smaller colonies). This has the benefit of giving every coral its optimal flow for at least a third of the day as some corals will be slightly pissed for about an hour when flow is too high or too low and then they are happy for 5.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The best flow I ever had was a couple tunzes! They were strong, quiet and powerful! They were very old (over ten years) and have been retired to a mixing tank and backup.

Currently I have one gyre pulsing and two Neptune wav pumps. The flow is great in my 60”x30” tank and the programming for the wav pumps is nice. That being said, the wav pumps are not super reliable, one went out after only 4 years.

Random strong flow for my sps works well.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That being said, the wav pumps are not super reliable, one went out after only 4 years.
That's actually pretty reliable considering they also cost half as much as a tunze for an equivalent model (6155) and a vortech equivalent (mp40)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
On my 75g I did have a MP40, MP10 and a rio pump on it. With a Sicce3.0 for a return pump. Recently took the mp10 off though as most of my sps died in the partial crash and the tank just doesnt need that much flow now.

The 485 though is a whole other animal, since it is 2 closed loops and a main return for all the flow. At least initially it will be run by 3 Reeflos, 2x barracudas and a hammerhead.
The hammerhead will be on the on the main closed loop which will be attached to a Ocean motion
One Barracuda is the main return, with one sea swirl and the other is the second closed loop, which will have 2 more sea swirls. All in all it will move about 15k gph, although at first I wont run the 2nd closed loop. I made it so I can turn off each system completely if needed, and the 2nd loop will remain on standby until corals start to grow more, and more flow is needed.
Main goal of this flow system is to get as natural flow pattern as possible, and eliminate the need for other pumps stuck to the glass.
Tank will be some LPS, and nps as well as a wide variety of anthias, so natural flow will be important.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I run a 150 cube. It is plumbed to the basement and runs on a suntail pressure pump. Personally I do not count my return as flow due to turn over rate I want in the sump. As far as the display tank I have a maxspect gyre, 2 ecodrift 8.1, vortec mp 40, and tunze 6095. Total flow from power heads is about 16200gph. My turn over in tank is about 95-108 turn over depending on where the pumps are ramping. I do not turn my pumps down at night as the current in the ocean even at night is more than strong enough to move just about anything around. I am a huge believer in flow and don't think it can be overdone personally. I also think flow is why my Achilles is fat and happy. I am considering switching to the new octo pumps as they are slim and have wide flow like an mp40. If I go this route I will probably run 3 along with the trust tunze pump.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
That's actually pretty reliable considering they also cost half as much as a tunze for an equivalent model (6155) and a vortech equivalent (mp40)

Not really what this thread is about but 4 years for a 200 dollar pump is not reliable at all. I also had to replace the $40 impeller at one point. A tunze lasting 10 years at twice the cost is still cheaper... plus they are still operating going on 14 years. Not to mention that they would replace a broken part under warranty for like EVER it seems. Ooh well next time!

On to the real conversation.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
On my 75g I did have a MP40, MP10 and a rio pump on it. With a Sicce3.0 for a return pump. Recently took the mp10 off though as most of my sps died in the partial crash and the tank just doesnt need that much flow now.

The 485 though is a whole other animal, since it is 2 closed loops and a main return for all the flow. At least initially it will be run by 3 Reeflos, 2x barracudas and a hammerhead.
The hammerhead will be on the on the main closed loop which will be attached to a Ocean motion
One Barracuda is the main return, with one sea swirl and the other is the second closed loop, which will have 2 more sea swirls. All in all it will move about 15k gph, although at first I wont run the 2nd closed loop. I made it so I can turn off each system completely if needed, and the 2nd loop will remain on standby until corals start to grow more, and more flow is needed.
Main goal of this flow system is to get as natural flow pattern as possible, and eliminate the need for other pumps stuck to the glass.
Tank will be some LPS, and nps as well as a wide variety of anthias, so natural flow will be important.
Old school on the closed loop! Love it and the built in additional flow plus the random flow of the ocean motion ...

Lots of power consumption is the only downfall...

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Old school on the closed loop! Love it and the built in additional flow plus the random flow of the ocean motion ...

Lots of power consumption is the only downfall...
Ya pumps gonna run about 8-9 amps total, and ocean motion + sea swirls run about another 1-2 amps. So about 9-11 amps total for the flow.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya pumps gonna run about 8-9 amps total, and ocean motion + sea swirls run about another 1-2 amps. So about 9-11 amps total for the flow.
Seems wasteful. 1 main return plus 2 mp60s or WAV and 2 gyre xf250 would pull less than 3A to hit 16-20k. I personally would not want to drop $140+ a month on flow alone when it could be done for less than 30 bucks using efficient DC powerheads. Not to mention the temp would be impossible to control without a chiller with that much continuous heat input, which further increases the cost.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wasteful is in the eyes of the beholder. Sometimes things just work and that's how people like it. This thread was started to see how everyone looks at flow. I can see the appeal of closed loop. It is most definitely a cleaner look. And you don't have to put hands in the tank to clean the pumps.